Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FuzzyLogic
Employee
Employee

Notes on Script to Identify vulnerable Security Gateways for CVE-2024-24919

Hey everyone,

Just sharing a quick note on running the script from SK182336 to determine if any of your gateways are vulnerable. When running the script, some users have reported an error similar to: "Failed to collect Domains".

If you come across this, just double-check that you have the management server object highlighted when running your script. This error is a little ambiguous, but in SMS environments it may return simply because a gateway was highlighted instead of the management. 

Hopefully, this little tidbit will save someone some time.

Regards,

35 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

100% true! I tested your theory and thats exactly it.

Andy

0 Kudos
Tomer_Noy
Employee
Employee

Thank you very much for pointing this out and sharing with the community.

We will take this feedback, and try to give a clearer message if we release another version of the script.

0 Kudos
Kevin_Stanton
Contributor

Hey

I run the script from the Script repository on a single stand alone management server R81.10 T139, Smart Console R81.10.9600.423

After clicking on details of the Task I get the pop up from Smart console "Requested log record was not found"

Get the same results with "check-for-local-users-with-password-only-authentication-v5" and "VPNcheck_v3"

is this good, bad or indifferent?

0 Kudos
Tomer_Noy
Employee
Employee

In your environment, do you see other logs?

The task running the script creates a log that represents the task's status. It's possible that there is a delay in indexing in your environment, or indexing is deactivated, therefore you cannot open the task details.

I suggest to try a little bit later, or run the script manually by connecting to the Management/Standalone machine's console.

0 Kudos
Kevin_Stanton
Contributor

I am getting logs fine

Ran it manually from Home directory, on the management server.

chmod u+x VPNcheck.sh

chmod u+x check-for-local-users-with-password-only-authentication.sh

./VPNcheck.sh
No Local accounts with Password Authentication method found. No further action required.

./check-for-local-users-with-password-only-authentication.sh
No Local accounts with Password Authentication method found. No further action required.

I am asumming that "No Local accounts with Password Authentication method found. No further action required." is a good thing 🙂

0 Kudos
FuzzyLogic
Employee
Employee

You may want to double-check to see if you have the correct script for the the vulnerability check. When I download it from the SK182336 I get a file named "check-for-CVE-2024-24919.sh" not "VPNcheck.sh". The initial scripts released only validated whether or not local users exist with password auth and VPN access, the newer CVE script is running checks to see if the vulnerability is present. (Important Note: it is possible to not have any local users present and still be vulnerable)

Kevin_Stanton
Contributor

Ran that one all good 🙂

still adding the Hot fix regardless, 5 more clusters to go, taking longer to sort out change windows.

Looks at Checkpoint where do I send the bill for my wifes flowers, that is our weekend wrecked.

0 Kudos
Kevin_Stanton
Contributor

I just re read this, we have a separate events server, wonders what difference this would make? if any

0 Kudos
mk2
Participant

We found that the script ran succesfully, but a patched R81.00 cluster is identified as vulnerable:

ALERT: Number of vulnerable Remote Access gateway(s) identified: 1
Recommendation: Install Hotfix to mitigate CVE-2024-24919 according to sk182336.

- cluster.name

EDIT: We used the check-for-CVE-2024-24919-v2.zip with check-for-CVE-2024-24919.sh in it.

0 Kudos
Tomer_Noy
Employee
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback. The script automates checking whether Mobile Access blade (MAB) is activated or the gateway belongs to the Remote Access VPN community. These are the manual instructions we give to customer to check potential vulnerability.

To keep things simple, we did not invoke APIs or scripts to the gateways themselves to see if the HF was installed. The outcome of the script is whether it's important to install the HF.

We will check if we can improve the text to be clearer, in case we release an updated script.

0 Kudos
mk2
Participant

A little bit confusing, but that explains it. Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Tomer_Noy
Employee
Employee

We just released an updated script that will iterate over potentially vulnerable gateways and will run commands to check for relevant HF or JHF fix installation.

The updated script will no longer mark patched gateways as vulnerable.
Thank you for the community feedback!

Tomer_Noy_0-1717491056712.png

https://support.checkpoint.com/results/download/133115 

the_rock
Legend
Legend

Awesome, will test in later and report back.

Andy

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

@Tomer_Noy 

Not sure if this is expected (I assume not), but here is what I experienced. Before upgrade of my cluster, it was on R81.20 jumbo 53 and I upgraded to jumbo 65, but I get below when running script from the mgmt for the cve check. I attached 2 screenshots, first worked fine BEFORE the upgrade and 2nd I get the error seen.

Thoughts?

Best,

Andy

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

0 Kudos
Tomer_Noy
Employee
Employee

Is this a multi-domain environment, or Security Management Server?

On what did you install JHF 65? On the gateway or management server?

The error message seems to indicate a problem in fetching data on the management, so upgrading the gateway/cluster should not have done this.

Can you try again?

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Just regular SMS

I even rebooted the mgmt, same issue. Let me install jumbo 65 on the mgmt server, not sure if that will make a difference, but will let you know.

Andy

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

No joy 😞

I upgraded mgmt to take 65, rebooted, even deleted and re-added the script, exact same problem, except now it shows same for both gateways, not just the backup.

Super odd...

Andy

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Anyway @Tomer_Noy , honestly, not a biggie, as they say, I copied the script to the mgmt via winscp and showed correct output. I want to THANK you and everyone else, @FuzzyLogic , @PhoneBoy , @_Val_ , and all the other people (hard to remember everyone now) who worked very hard on this. I know what Val meant when he said recently people are working around the clock for this issue and its most likely true. Super important to be on top of things like this, so I can say we appreciate, and Im sure I speak for others as well.

Best regards mate.

Andy

Output from the lab mgmt:

[Expert@CP-management:0]# cd /var/log/scripts/
[Expert@CP-management:0]# chmod 777 *
[Expert@CP-management:0]# ./check-for-CVE-2024-24919.sh
All gateways are not vulnerable to CVE-2024-24919. No further action required.
[Expert@CP-management:0]#

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Just to update quick, @Omer_Kleinstern reached out to me directly about the script, I ended up rebooting the mgmt again, ran it all good. Thanks so much guys, I truly value and am grateful for how quickly you responded and are on top of this

Andy

👍✌️👌

Screenshot_1.png

0 Kudos
Tomer_Noy
Employee
Employee

This might be a little ironic @the_rock , but it's possible that the errors you got were not related to installing JHF or rebooting the Management.

The original post in this thread by @FuzzyLogic was to make people aware that they need to select the Management object, otherwise they will get an error "Failed to collect (get) domains". That's the error that you got, so it's highly possible that you simply selected a gateway object when you ran the script, instead of the management.

Thanks @Omer_Kleinstern for pointing out that possibility.

(1)
the_rock
Legend
Legend

@Tomer_Noy You are 100% CORRECT! Thats exactly what I was doing...layer 8 iussue HAHAHA

Thanks mate!

Andy

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The script in sk182336 has gotten an update.
Now, it specifically tells you if the patch is installed or not as part of it's checks.
For gateway types where we cannot check this easily, we identify them and suggest manually checking and confirming if the patch is needed.
If you happen to be running cccd (not enabled by default), the script now tests for this as well.

image.png

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Maybe not updated yet? Just ran it, but got same as yesterday...

Andy

Screenshot_1.png

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Not sure if this is expected when running script on standalone?

Andy

I cant seem to find exactly where that setting is...never mind, ended up rebooting, good now, though still does NOT show anything for cccd

Screenshot_1.png

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Did you explicitly enable cccd?
It's not enabled by default.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Definitely not, its brand new install.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

That's why you didn't get anything about cccd then 🙂

the_rock
Legend
Legend

lol...I thought even if its disabled it would tell you, but guess not 🙂

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Even when enabled, does not seem to matter...

Andy

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

  

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events