cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wang
Collaborator
Jump to solution

JAVA processes are very CPU intensive

Hi, engineers,The CPU usage of JAVA process is very high, how can I solve this problem微信图片_20200304231411.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

CPM process (Java) is responsible for writing all information to the PostgreSQL and SOLR databases.

All the communications between the different GUI clients are done through web services. Is a component within CPM. Whenever we connect to the SmartCenter server with SmartConsole we are basically opening a connection from the GUI machine to the CPM process „java à solr-solrj-v4_X_X.jar“ on the SmartCenter server over port 19009 via web service.

• web_services is a component within CPM process that serves GUI and remote client (like remote API) and responsible to transfer the request to the dleserver
  • DLE server (dleserver) is a component within the CPM server that contains all the logic of the server to writing the info to the database and SOLR
  • object_store is a component within the CPM server, responsible to write the information to SOLR search engine and to the PostgreSQL database

There are also other Java processes on the SMS. If you change the priority of the process, this can have a negative effect on performance. I wouldn't do that.

As I said, a high workload on the process is normal.

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE

View solution in original post

13 Replies
HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

I think this is a SMS.

The CPM process is in R80 a Java applet. The high cpu usage is normal.

More read here:

R80.x Policy Installation Flowchart 

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE
0 Kudos
Wang
Collaborator
But this JAVA process USES CPU a few hundred percent, should be abnormal
0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
But it's doing so at lower priority.
Which means if something more important comes along, it will back off.
0 Kudos
Wang
Collaborator
Hi, where can you see it's low priority.And this JAVA process is often ranked first。Is there no need to worry about this process?Is there a way to take a closer look at who is using this process?
0 Kudos
Maik
Advisor

The "nice" value ("NI" column) determines whether the process should be prioritized or not. It can be within the range of -20 to + 19 where +19 means the process has the least priority possible (your java process) and -20 the most prio. The PR field in the output is the scheduling priority of the process - you can find more detailed explanations in the man page for "top".

HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

CPM process (Java) is responsible for writing all information to the PostgreSQL and SOLR databases.

All the communications between the different GUI clients are done through web services. Is a component within CPM. Whenever we connect to the SmartCenter server with SmartConsole we are basically opening a connection from the GUI machine to the CPM process „java à solr-solrj-v4_X_X.jar“ on the SmartCenter server over port 19009 via web service.

• web_services is a component within CPM process that serves GUI and remote client (like remote API) and responsible to transfer the request to the dleserver
  • DLE server (dleserver) is a component within the CPM server that contains all the logic of the server to writing the info to the database and SOLR
  • object_store is a component within the CPM server, responsible to write the information to SOLR search engine and to the PostgreSQL database

There are also other Java processes on the SMS. If you change the priority of the process, this can have a negative effect on performance. I wouldn't do that.

As I said, a high workload on the process is normal.

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE
Wang
Collaborator
s there any documentation for JAVA?
0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
Java is a runtime environment we use for several of the management processes in R80.x.
Any modifications to Java-related configuration would have to be done in consultation with the TAC and/or R&D.
Wang
Collaborator
Thank you
0 Kudos
Eran_Habad
Employee
Employee

@HeikoAnkenbrand  very good explanation 🙂

In this case I suspect that the java process that consumes 452% in the first line of the top is actually the Solr process of the logging. The reason - the virtual memory of it is very large (almost 30GB) which is very typical to Solr in general. I believe that CPM is actually the java process in the 9th line.

@Wang , does your Management also act as a log server, or do you have an additional log server - separated from the Management? Also, how many CPU cores do you have?

If you could share another 'top' after pressing on 1 (to see the CPUs) and also pressing on 'c' to see the command lines of the processes - that would be great for sharing more insights.

Wolfgang
Authority
Authority

Wang,

you can press the key „1“ after you start top. With this you should see all CPUs and utilization of all CPUs.

And you don’t see not more then 100% CPU utilization on one core. You get more then 100% utilization for java, because this is running on more then one CPU. The values are added.

Normally, these high CPU values are seen after restart of Smartcenter, after imports of database, policy install ore something similar. As @HeikoAnkenbrand and other’s mentioned this is a normal behaviour.

Wolfgang

Wang
Collaborator
I didn't do anything, but the CPU usage was still high.However, thank you very much for your reply
0 Kudos
Wang
Collaborator
Thank you very much for your support
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events