cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post a Question

Is a 600 Appliance with an expired license still usable as a basic firewall/router?

Jump to solution

Is a 600 Appliance with an expired license still usable as a basic firewall/router?

I have one where the license expired in February. It's only being used as an access point to segregate Public Wi-Fi usage at a library.

It was rebooted about 10 days ago and the Wi-Fi and routing are still working, but SNMP is now getting blocked and any edits to the firewall are ignored with a System log entry being created: [Security Settings] Firewall policy change could not be applied due to an invalid license.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is a 600 Appliance with an expired license still usable as a basic firewall/router?

Jump to solution

My license page was showing all blades as expired, I clicked the Activate link and it turned on the Firewall,  Identity Awareness, Advanced Networking, and IPSec VPN blades.

It's working now and SNMP reads are allowed now.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Admin
Admin

Re: Is a 600 Appliance with an expired license still usable as a basic firewall/router?

Jump to solution

The answer is "it depends."

For example, my 1100 cannot be used even as a firewall after Jun 12th unless I get a new license for it Smiley Happy

However, my 1490 clearly could:

My guess is that your 600 is provisioned with a different SKU that results in a Firewall license that expires, similar to my 1100 above.

(My 1100 is a pre-production unit)

In theory, all appliances should include a license for Firewall + VPN that doesn't expire.

Either way, I would check with Account Services. 

Contact Support | Check Point Software 

Jump to solution

Indeed I've seen many 11xx/6xx boxes and once you activate then it does not expire (ever) , just subscription based services (App Ctrl/IPS/etc). So unless it is a special purpose box (Demo/Trial/etc) the Firewall and VPN Ipsec lics are permanent. 

Moreover cannot easily recall anyone having problems with this at all. 

Jump to solution

My license page was showing all blades as expired, I clicked the Activate link and it turned on the Firewall,  Identity Awareness, Advanced Networking, and IPSec VPN blades.

It's working now and SNMP reads are allowed now.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Admin
Admin

Jump to solution

Excellent Smiley Happy

0 Kudos