cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sushantjoshi
Contributor
Jump to solution

IPS Policy

I am trying to get my head around IPS Policy.

Firewall I am managing was setup by another guy who is no longer in the company

There are three rules in my existing Custom policy INTERNET_IN_PROFILE , INTERNET_OUT_PROFILE, VPN_IN_PROFILE ( image attached)

IPS-POLICY.png

There is no protected scope applied with any of these rules but interestingly when I check the logs the first rule (Internet IN - Threat Policy) only prevents/detects IPS in the incoming traffic i.e inbound traffic mainly towards my application.

The second rule only prevents/detects IPS outbound traffic i.e traffic usually generated from my internal network.

There is no scope defined so bit confused about how this is working.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Lesley
Advisor
Advisor

Right click on the dark blue bar and add the missing column like source. Then you will understand the policy

-------
If you like this post please give a thumbs up(kudo)! 🙂

View solution in original post

(1)
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I dont believe top to bottom approach even matters here, like it would in normal policy rules. Btw, yes, you are correct, inactive means it will NOT inspect/apply to source/dst.

Andy

View solution in original post

(1)
8 Replies
Lesley
Advisor
Advisor

Right click on the dark blue bar and add the missing column like source. Then you will understand the policy

-------
(1)
sushantjoshi
Contributor

Thank You Lesley and sorry for being a noob on this one.

One more thing how does this rule work ? Match from top to bottom or will the E-1.1 , E1.2 will get bypassed from the Threat Prevention profile and rest of them will get inspected ? Does the Inactive in the Action section refers to not inspect the matching source and destination ? 

IPS-EXCEPTION.png

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I dont believe top to bottom approach even matters here, like it would in normal policy rules. Btw, yes, you are correct, inactive means it will NOT inspect/apply to source/dst.

Andy

(1)
Timothy_Hall
Legend Legend
Legend

Rules E-1.1 and E-1.2 are exceptions that can change the final decision (Inactive, Prevent, Detect) of what to do only if rule 1 is matched.  If rule 1 is not matched, E-1.1 and E-1.2 are skipped.  Overall in the Threat Prevention layers just the first matching rule is taken, unless there is more than one Threat Prevention policy layer (not common), in which case the first matching rule is selected in all TP layers, and the most stringent action wins unless there is an exception which changes it.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
(1)
Lesley
Advisor
Advisor

What the guys told me below applies here. Only advise I can give is consider to remove the exceptions because they seem to whitelist a lot. 1.2 is whitelist for traffic TOWARDS internet. So if a hosts connects to a C&C server on internet it will be skipped due the exception and not inspected by for example anti-bot blade. 

-------
0 Kudos
sushantjoshi
Contributor

Hello @Lesley  there is an Edge firewall as well and before the packet goes out to the internet it has to be traverse the Edge firewall. We do not want to be using Threat Prevention with same signatures and everything in 2 places and on top of that both of them are Checkpoint

0 Kudos
sushantjoshi
Contributor

@Timothy_Hall one more thing do we expect to see any logs from those exception ? 

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Definitely you should get them. I know few customers who use them and we always see the logs. By default, when you create them, logging is enabled.

Andy

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events