Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mohit_Yadav
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to Prepare a lab for checkpoint using vmware

Hi,

I am new to checkpoint and want to set up a lab on my laptop using vmware. Please guide me with the process or any video(youtube) for that. I want to install R80.x in the lab. I want to go fo CCSA, so any study material for that will be very helpful. 

Thanks in advance.

Mohit Yadav

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KostasGR
Advisor

I would suggest you to install the check point lab  on a VM running eve-ng (inception 🙂 ). There you can easily play also with cisco router and L2/L3 switches emulating a corporate environment.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Nikolai_Borhart
Contributor
0 Kudos
Mohit_Yadav
Contributor

Hey,
I have gone through this, but i am not sure whether i'll be able to setup lab on my own. Is it okay if i ask for your help, whenever i got struck in the process. I am using the topology as mentioned in the screenshot as given in the guide.

Thanks in advance
Mohit yadav

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

The big thing to watch out for when setting up a lab in VMWare are the system requirements of the SMS VM.  Make sure to allocate at least 4 cores,  8GB of RAM, and 100GB of disk space to it.  I know that seems like a lot of resources, but dropping below these numbers will make management very slow or cause outright failures.  Don't skimp in this area.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
0 Kudos
Mohit_Yadav
Contributor

Hi,

Can someone also share the simplest topology that i can create to perform hands on and practice for CCSA. Any reference regarding minimum requirements for the lab.

Thanks in advance

Mohit yadav

0 Kudos
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

@Mohit_Yadav , it depends on what VMware platform you are using: configuration on the VMware Workstation will be different from that of ESXi.

I'm running complex labs in both environments.

The thing to remember about VMware workstation is that its virtual networks are essentially dumb hubs, whereas in ESXi, those are actual virtual switches. This is important from clustering perspectives.

As Tim Hall mentioned, the amount of RAM is important. The speed of the underlying storage and the CPU core count are also should be taken into consideration.

Whenever possible, I suggest for people to run their Check Point labs on ESXi.

Regards,

Vladimir

0 Kudos
Christian_Koehl
Collaborator
Collaborator

Dear Vladimir,

Although it is some time ago you answered to this thread, but do you have some suggestions regarding the settings of the VMware internal switches in ESXi?

I still have some trouble with my enverionment and I belive it is regarding the VMware internal switches.

Best regards,

Christian

0 Kudos
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

@Christian_Koehl , please describe the environment you are trying to configure on ESXi and, if possible, provide a rough sketch of the interconnects marking virtual switches and port groups. I'd take a look and help if I can.

0 Kudos
KostasGR
Advisor

I would suggest you to install the check point lab  on a VM running eve-ng (inception 🙂 ). There you can easily play also with cisco router and L2/L3 switches emulating a corporate environment.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events