Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maxtaan
Contributor

How checkpoint works in 7 layer of osi model?

I am not clear about how chekpoint works in OSI layers, please response and kindly give a breif.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
_Val_
Admin
Admin

There are multiple Software Blades and products that act on Layer 7: Application control, Content inspection, multiple Threat Prevention blades, WAF, etc.

What do you want to achieve?

0 Kudos
maxtaan
Contributor

As we know packet filtering and statefull inspection are works in network layer with the help of datalink and transport layer. And I think the box is works in physical layer.Similarly, I wanted to know clearly how checkpoints work is done in the rest of the layers.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

The topic is very broad, as @_Val_ has indicated a specific example might help to provide a concise answer short of referring you to the CP for beginners materials and similar.

Regarding Application visibility you can review our coverage here:

https://appwiki.checkpoint.com/appwikisdb/public.htm

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

This statement is incorrect, and it was not true even in 1993 when the Stateful Inspection was conceived: "... stateful inspection works in network layer with the help of datalink and transport layer".

0 Kudos
maxtaan
Contributor

Hi _Val_!

There was a mistake, statefull inspection works in layer 3 and 4 as per many source. And there was no involvement for layer 2.

If the satement is incorrect then can you please explain how statefull inspection works in OSI model?

Please don't feel disturbed, i'm a beginner. 

Regards.

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

It is explained here: https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/Check-Point-for-Beginners-2-0/Brief-History-of-Check-Point-Firew...

The classic Stateful Inspection enforces traffic on layers 3 to 6, and sometimes on layer 7. 

0 Kudos
maxtaan
Contributor

Hi @_Val_ 

Thanks for the information, it will help me a lot. Thanks for your valuable time.
Regards.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

In terms of the OSI model:

• The Stateful Inspection (i.e. the firewall kernel) sits between Layers 2 and 3 in the OSI Model
  • The “Acceleration Device” (SecureXL) sits between Layers 1 and 2

There are multiple userspace processes that operate in Layer 7 that is, in many cases, have traffic directed to them by the firewall kernel.

(1)
maxtaan
Contributor

Hi PhoneBoy!

Thanks. Yeah as per chat gpt and many tutorial i able to know that. But i wants to know the whole proccess of checkpoint, in OSI model. I know it is a broad proccess, but as a bigenner i wants to know it. Please help me for fullfill my curiosity.

Regards.

0 Kudos
HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

Hi @maxtaan,

In these articles I described how the packet flow and the layer 7 processing over CMI, PSL, APAS,... works.
Maybe this will help you!

- R8x - Security Gateway Architecture (Logical Packet Flow)
- R8x - Security Gateway Architecture (Logical Packet Flow) - Update R80.20+
- R8x - Security Gateway Architecture (Content Inspection)

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE
(1)
maxtaan
Contributor

Hi @HeikoAnkenbrand 

Thanks, it help me to solve the issue. Thanks for your time.

Regards.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events