Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Albottini
Explorer

Fw Monitor Command doesn´t show Virtual system traffic

hello Guys!  i´m having some issues troubleshooting a  Site to Site VPN Traffic, 

i have a Virtual system to all my  Site to Site VPN  on a cluster with   r80.40  OS,   both cluster gateways are 23500 series, 

i need to check  some specific incoming and outgoing  traffic that  pass trough a client´s  Site to Site VPN, 

The problem: 

i can see traffic with the graphic interface named logs and monitor but only http and https traffic, 

i´m  doing a ping from the source (172.27.0.34) to destination (10.8.0.6) and i don´t see it, on logs and monitor

also the ping request don´t have any response ( timeout for this request) 

the firewall have two  virtual interfaces ( wrp256 to inside traffic and wrp257 to outside traffic) , i´m trying to use tcpdump on that interfaces and don´t show nothing , 

what i´m typing: (tcpdump -i wrp256 | grep 172.27.0.34)  and (tcpdump -i wrp257 | grep 10.8.0.6) 

i´m also trying to use: 

fw monitor -v4 -F "172.27.0.34,0,10.80.6,0,0"   and  doesn´t work either  (the command only shows my ssh connection to the  active vsx gateway  of the cluster = 10.1.250.246 is the active cluster gateway and 180.183.70.39 is my pc)

i think i´m doing something wrong when i´m typing the commands  can you help me guys?  

0 Kudos
7 Replies
KostasGR
Advisor

Hello @Albottini 

You can try 

fw monitor -v < VSID > -e < expression >

And

tcpdump -i wrp256  on one session

and 

tcpdump -i wrp257  on another.

BR,
Kostas

0 Kudos
Oliver_Fink
Advisor
Advisor

"10.80.6" does not look like a valid IP to me. Should it be "10.8.0.6" instead?

Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Oliver is correct @KostasGR, you must specify a valid IP address in a fw monitor -F filter and cannot leave the last octet off hoping to match the first three octets, nor can you use CIDR notation (/24) nor any kind of wildcard like * or ?.  Also keep in mind that ICMP traffic is never accelerated by SecureXL and will always go F2F.

However as noted in my Max Capture video series (the relevant page is below), tcpdump/cppcap won't usually give you a complete capture (or perhaps not even show any packets at all) when used on a Wrp interface due to a SecureXL feature called "warp jump".  The recommendation for successfully capturing traffic on a Wrp interface according to the various SKs is to use "fw monitor", but those SKs do not specify whether to use the -e option (which captures inside F2F/INSPECT) or -F (which captures packets in sim/SecureXL). 

I would think that fw monitor -F would show the packets you need on a Wrp interface if given a proper filtering syntax, but there is the possibility you'll need to to disable SecureXL completely (or exclude the desired traffic from SecureXL acceleration via steps in sk104468) and use fw monitor -e instead.

capture_recs.png

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
Albottini
Explorer

hello it was a typing error the ip is 10.8.0.6 

0 Kudos
Albottini
Explorer

where can i find a cppcap user  guide ?

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

The main documentation is the SK for cppcap:

sk141412: Running tcpdump causes high CPU usage - Introducing cppcap

Beyond that the most extensive documentation would be my "Max Capture: Know your packets" self-guided video series which has lots of use cases, examples, and a compare/contrast with the other three capturing tools (tcpdump, fw monitor -e, and fw monitor -F).

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
Albottini
Explorer

the ip is 10.8.0.6  it was a typing error

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events