Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wyman
Contributor

External VIP Change ClusterXL

Hi. We're going to be doing a swap between the primary/backup ISPs at one of our sites this week, and in a few weeks the current primary (the link becoming the backup this week) will be getting removed.

So I need to change our external cluster VIP and cluster member's external IPs. My only question with this process is (hopefully this makes sense):

Currently our primary link has the IP range containing the current external VIP/cluster member external IPs. To change the IPs to the range of what's currently the backup ISP (the new primary) do I need to:

• A) Failover to the current backup ISP, make the IP change, install policy, failover to new primary
  • B) Stay on the current primary ISP, make the IP change, make primary the backup, install policy

I suppose, in summary, as long as the gateways have a route to the MGMT server (at another site), does it matter whether we're on the primary or backup at the time of the change?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

Few things to consider:

1. Your gateways and the cluster objects should NOT be defined in the management by their retiring IP addresses.

2. Your licenses are NOT tied to the IPs that are retiring.

3. You do not have P2P VPN tunnels configured with the IPs that are being retired.

4. You do not have Remote Access clients configured with IPs that are being retired.

5. You are NOT using any static NAT objects in your policy that are tied to the IPs and the range that is being retired.

6. Specifically, your Management Server does not manage any other gateways via this cluster's external interface.

0 Kudos
Wyman
Contributor

Hi Vladimir. Thanks for the response, it all makes sense. As we have ISP redundancy setup does it matter if we're using the primary or backup line when the cluster VIP is set? That's the part I'm unsure of. Will being connected to the primary line and changing the VIP to the backup line cause issues? I was going to change the VIP, reorder the primary/backup order then install policy.

Sorry for the confusion.

0 Kudos
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

Hmm... Let's be careful here with terminology.

You are talking about changing the Cluster object's IP address defined in Cluster/General Properties?

If so, with all the caveats described above, your plan should work.

Disclaimer: I have not performed this procedure myself, but am inferring the outcome from experience with ClusterXL in general.

0 Kudos
Wyman
Contributor

Hi Vladimir. That's correct, the cluster IP in the General Properties window is going to be changed. Seems like it'll be ok though!

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events