Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StevePearson
Participant

Exporting Logs

I've had a lt of problems this week exporting logs to CSV, so I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions as to what i'm doing wrong!

The first request was for all logs relating to a single user logging on/off the VPN going back as far as possible. I wrote a quick query to check I was getting the correct logs, which I was, then applied a date range. The first issue was it would only show me logs in the last 3 months, so I checked the log config and found it saves logs for 365 days but only saves indexes for 90 days. So, accepting that, I adjust the time frame to 90 days relative to today and get the logs. Then I ask it to export them to CSV, and I waited, and waited, and waited. After 20 minutes I gave up waiting, assuming it's gone wrong, and tried again but got an error saying a problem with the query and nothing else then worked on the logging side. I restarted the EV system and tried again, this time I got called away to do something else and came back a couple of hours later to find the message saying it was available to download!

So it's taking a significant amount of time to do what I would think is a relatively simple export. (management server is a VM with 8 cores and 16Gb Ram)

If anyone has a better way to get this info in a report i'd be very interested.

Now today, different customer, different criteria, but similar issue!

This time I want all logs for a 1 hour time period, simples, but it took nearly 20 minutes to create the export!

Is this right and to be expected, or am I missing something?

Any pointers greatly apriciated!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I never had this issue when doing it from smartview, as you cant do csv export from smart console. Limit is 10000 lines, but not sure if maybe in R82 it will be million, no idea.

Andy

https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/Infinity_Portal/WebAdminGuides/EN/Check-Point-SmartCloud-Admin-...

0 Kudos
StevePearson
Participant

Hi Andy,

I am doing it from Smartview, I have just found the file I exported earlier has 1 million lines! (R81.20). Filtered out the accept now, so just the drops, been waiting 9 minutes so far!

the_rock
Legend
Legend

That does not shock me at all...it may take some time. Never tried it in R81.20, but let me fire up my lab and test 🙂

Andy

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Just for the context, this is how you can tell if its done, without constantly checking. I also verified the file, shows exactly 1M logs, I guess thats MAXIMUM.

Andy

Screenshot_1.png

0 Kudos
StevePearson
Participant

That's really useful to know thanks!

Looks like you can download from there too! I'll have a look at that in the morning

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

yes sir! My colleague showed me that, I did not have any idea about it either...learn something new every day. After all, thats the life goal, hehe : - )

Cheers,

Andy

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Excample from my lab, for context. If you unzip the file, csv is actually about 600MBs and you can open it, look through it, NOTHING secretive, just my lab, so no one cares haha

Andy

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events