Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kevin_Vargo
Collaborator
Jump to solution

Could not connect to "cws.checkpoint.com:80"

Hello-

Every couple of hours or so we receive the message below from our internet facing gateway(s) though curl shows connectivity every time I check for a connection after getting this alert.  I've seen in this in production and a lab environment; I've also heard that others experience the same.  I'm curious to know why this occurs at all and am open to suggestions in trying to solve, or at least mitigate, the occurrences. 

SK109105 did not seem to help me and we do not use HTTPs inspection or a proxy server.  Both our mgmt server (VM) and this HA (open source) cluster is running 80.10 patch level 112.  

Thank you

Validation:

[Expert@FWFront001:0]# curl cws.checkpoint.com:80
<html><body><h1>It works!</h1></body></html>

[Expert@FWFront001:0]# cpstat -f RAD_status urlf

RAD status: -
RAD status description: -

Email message:

HeaderDateHour: 12Sep2018  8:21:00; ContentVersion: 5; HighLevelLogKey: N/A; LogUid: N/A; SequenceNum: N/A; Action: ctl; Origin: FWNameHere; IfDir: >; InterfaceName: daemon; Alert: useralert; OriginSicName: N/A; OriginSicName: ; HighLevelLogKey: 18446744073709554515; description: Failed to connect to Check Point Anti Malware detection service.; reason: Could not connect to "cws.checkpoint.com:80". Check proxy configuration on the gateway.; severity: 3; update status: Failed; ProductName: Anti Malware; ProductFamily: Network;

2 different error logs (could not connect and Internal error occured, could not connect)

log error

log error 2

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Franco_Carched1
Contributor

Hi,

is this when you have the smartconsole open it occurs?  or even when it is shutdown you still get this issue ?

you want to look at sk98665 and run through this

Thanks

Frank

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
28 Replies
Franco_Carched1
Contributor

Hi,

is this when you have the smartconsole open it occurs?  or even when it is shutdown you still get this issue ?

you want to look at sk98665 and run through this

Thanks

Frank

0 Kudos
Kevin_Vargo
Collaborator

I would have to guess smartconsole is open as we have ~15 people in it at any given time (assuming you mean the application is open on someone's desktop).  I will take a look at SK98665 and report back.  Thank you.

Franco_Carched1
Contributor

Hi Kevin,

if the console open then what will happen and I can't find info to prove this is that it will try to use the local host, so the desktop that has the client open will try download the updates via there pc. but this will not work if you have a proxy configured on the pc, you will need either add proxy configuration to smartconsole and then the updates wont fail.

look at this.

How to enable Proxy Server credentials in SmartDashboard for supporting IPS and Application Control ... 

the other SK I gave you probably wont yield any information I expect and the cause is the client is open on the desktop.

let me know what you find I hope this helps you.

Thanks

Frank

0 Kudos
Kevin_Vargo
Collaborator

Last night I finally was able to test the theory of having all smart console sessions disconnected and closed on our endpoints (~15 PCs).  Unfortunately I still received a couple emails with the described error so I don't think the consoles being opened is playing a part.  Thank you though.

Laxi_D
Contributor

This was occurred one of my firewall as well then I checked all updates and no issue found( all are up to date).

Finally, reboot the firewall then error message has gone

0 Kudos
Paul_Stephenson
Contributor

We also see this problem, but only from our primary internet gateway.

If I change member so that it's HA partner is active, then the alerts are generated from that firewall and the other stops sending the alerts.

We see this at random times of the day, nothing repeatable, nothing to pinpoint it to other ongoing activities that might be swamping our internet connection (which was unlikely anyway).

0 Kudos
Franco_Carched1
Contributor

Hi Paul,

Take a look at this article Anti-Virus / URL Filtering / IPS update fails on the Standby member of ClusterXL in High Availabilit... 

mainly this part my friend

If the above steps do not resolve the issue, then the cluster has to be configured not to hide these connections behind the cluster Virtual IP address.

On the Security Management Server, modify the relevant "table.def" file per sk98339 - Location of 'table.def' files on Security Management Server.

The following should be added to the 'no_hide_services_ports' configuration if traffic can not be synchronized:

Traffic
Name
Traffic
Port
Configuration in
no_hide_services_ports
HTTPTCP port 80<80, 6>
HTTPSTCP port 443<443, 6>
DNSUDP port 53<53, 17>

Thanks

Frank

Paul_Stephenson
Contributor

Hi,

Our problem is not with the standby firewall, but the active one. E.g. firewall1 which is active generated the above alert, firewall 2 does not.

If we changeover so 1 is standby and 2 is active, 1 stops sending this email alert and 2 does. The problem is only seen on the active firewall.

Cheers,

Paul.

0 Kudos
Franco_Carched1
Contributor

Hi Paul,

with firewall 1 which is active you get this error ? you need to go over this sk98665 and provide more info its a long procedure but worth going over.

which version of checkpoint are you running and Jumbo take ? patches ?

this may help you also Security Gateway cannot connect to Check Point Anti-Bot / Anti-Virus Online Web Services 

Thanks

Frank

0 Kudos
Luisnego
Contributor
Thanks, I was this problem standby member.
0 Kudos
Kevin_Vargo
Collaborator

Hi - sorry for the delay.  I wanted to pass along what I found despite all the good tips above.  After running across sk83520 and testing connections, I found that the gateways could not access updates.checkpoint.com at 209.87.209.87 - even though I have a non FQDN domain object destination of .checkpoint.com in place.  I could reach cws.checkpoint.com as I showed in the original post and I could reach checkpoint.com too (Expert mode# curl_cli -v -k https://updates.checkpoint.com/).  I don't know why this is, so instead of messing around I just added the IP.  Once pushed I found the alerts stopped.  Thanks for everyone's help.

0 Kudos
John_Fenoughty
Collaborator

Paul Stephenson and I have been looking in to the same issue at his place and your observations are interesting.

When you say you added the IP - I assume you added that to a host object, but then what did you use the host object for? As an exclusion to the access or application policy or HTTPS override or something else?

Kevin_Vargo
Collaborator

Hey folks -  Well, firstly, I spoke too soon.  I just woke up to 55 emails from overnight claiming the active gateway can't connect.  I also failed to mention that I changed the Threat Prevention engine setting (advanced) to "Background" verses "hold".  Regardless I am still seeing the email alerts (posted below for simplicity).  What I mentioned above about the IP was actually this network group from our 77.30 days.  I added this group in a destination rule (along with non FQDN object .checkpoint.com).  Once I did this both gateways went from red Xs to green "ok", I believe because they got to 209.87.209.87 which is where I had been seeing drops (which is odd anyway because I had the non FQDN and other IPs did work).  I'll try to dig around some more today, this is getting really frustrating though.

HeaderDateHour: 25Oct2018  7:07:15; ContentVersion: 5; HighLevelLogKey: N/A; LogUid: N/A; SequenceNum: N/A; Action: ctl; Origin: FWFront001; IfDir: >; InterfaceName: daemon; Alert: useralert; OriginSicName: N/A; OriginSicName: ; HighLevelLogKey: 18446744073709551615; description: Failed to connect to Check Point Anti Malware detection service.; reason: Internal error occurred, could not connect to "cws.checkpoint.com:80". Check proxy configuration on the gateway.; severity: 3; update status: Failed; ProductName: Anti Malware; ProductFamily: Network;

Kevin_Vargo
Collaborator

Fingers crossed, after changing CPUSE update check-ins from constant to every 10 days I haven't seen an email yet, though its only been an hour.  Today however we were seeing this email every ~15 minutes.

GAIA webUI, at the bottom of the left hand tree, under /software updates policy you can disable this is completely or expand the check period for up to 10 days.

0 Kudos
Kevin_Vargo
Collaborator

This ^ didn't work, still received ~6 emails overnight.

0 Kudos
SantiagoPlatero
Collaborator

Hi all, I also receive a high deal of alerts regarding connections to cws.checkpoint.com:80

But, looking up the DNS resolve these days I noticed it changed the response from our DNS (and public DNS). As it resolve to Akamai services (chained to multiple CNAMEs responses), I believe CP deploy some load balance for this service (and maybe like the TE Cloud, the DNS lookup response depends of the geographic location originating the request).

Maybe CP can code some Application Control signature or similar (Dynamic Object? Updatable Object?) to manage the multiple and different DNS response (which may vary from customer to customer), because deployed in this way we don't have any way to enforce and prioritize this traffic, which is essential to Application Control, URL Filtering, Anti-Bot and Anti-Virus blades.

Below I leave the RAD stats for URL Filtering, take a look on the RAD Down column:

DayDateTimeRad Up TimeFound in LDBSent to SiteRound Trip (ms)Err: No ResponseErr: Application LevelErr: DNS ErrorErr: Internal Server Error (500)Err: Service Unavailable (503)Err: Other Error CodeErr: OtherHit CountMiss CountError CountCache Size (bytes)Max Cache Size (bytes)Cache Total Host RecordsMax Cache Total Host RecordsAvg Family SizeMax Family SizeExpired RequestsExpired Requests With ResponseRad DownService Down
Fri762540,39390,0021875174980000000562841602526362584525223594609811220

I monitored the RAD status (cpstat -f RAD_status urlf) and is not down during the issue.

I don't have any proxy between the gateway and our ISP router, so I believe the HTTP headers are left intact during the request.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Kevin_Vargo
Collaborator

We don't use a proxy either and I have in place an ANY destination over http/s for this cluster.  The last couple days I was able to simulate the same message in my home lab.  Frankly, I don't get why this occurs so often or what to try next.

0 Kudos
DeletedUser
Not applicable

In addition to the great tips mentioned here subscribe for updates on Check Point Services Status page. Got a text last night of an issue.

0 Kudos
SantiagoPlatero
Collaborator

Hi Bob, I didn't have knowledge of the Services Status page, I subscribed now (and I saw in fact there is an issue with RAD).

Thanks!

0 Kudos
SantiagoPlatero
Collaborator

Hi all, last weekend I installed the last R80.10 JHF for the conflicting gateway and the alerts now appears almost twice per hour.

HeaderDateHour: 12Nov2018  9:56:21; ContentVersion: 5; HighLevelLogKey: N/A; Uuid: {0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0}; SequenceNum: 59; Action: ctl; Origin: AR-MTV-MUNFWGW; IfDir: >; InterfaceName: daemon; Alert: mail; OriginSicName: N/A; description: Failed to connect to Check Point Anti Malware detection service.; reason: Could not connect to "cws.checkpoint.com:80". Check proxy configuration on the gateway.; severity: 3; update status: Failed; ProductName: Anti Malware; ProductFamily: Network;‍

When the alert occurs I see this behaviour if I test the connection to cws.checkpoint.com using curl_cli:

=====================================

Mon Nov 12 09:56:18 ART 2018

* Trying 104.94.216.82...
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0* Connected to cws.checkpoint.com (104.94.216.82) port 80 (#0)
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0> GET / HTTP/1.1
> Host: cws.checkpoint.com
> User-Agent: RAD_CLIENT
> Accept: */*

< HTTP/1.1 200 OK
< Server: Apache
< Last-Modified: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 20:16:24 GMT
< Content-Type: text/html
< Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 12:56:19 GMT
< Content-Length: 44

< Connection: keep-alive

{ [44 bytes data]
100 44 100 44 0 0 101 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 156
* Connection #0 to host cws.checkpoint.com left intact

Mon Nov 12 09:56:19 ART 2018

Mon Nov 12 09:56:24 ART 2018

* Trying 104.94.216.82...
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0* Connected to cws.checkpoint.com (104.94.216.82) port 80 (#0)
> GET / HTTP/1.1

> Host: cws.checkpoint.com
> User-Agent: RAD_CLIENT
> Accept: */*

< HTTP/1.1 200 OK
< Server: Apache
< Last-Modified: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 20:16:24 GMT
< Content-Type: text/html
< Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 12:56:24 GMT
< Content-Length: 44
< Connection: keep-alive

{ [44 bytes data]
100 44 100 44 0 0 103 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 157
* Connection #0 to host cws.checkpoint.com left intact

Mon Nov 12 09:56:24 ART 2018

=====================================‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

Also, attached you'll find the rad.elg log file when the issue happens.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Kevin_Vargo
Collaborator

The only way around this, that I have found and works for me, is to allow the cluster out to the internet with a destination of ANY over http/s.  Once I did that the alerts stopped.  A rule I did have with a domain object destination non-fqdn .checkpoint.com doesn't work since the reverse DNS points to other servers, like Akamai and Akamaiedge.  You'd think the internals would account for RDNS, but they don't.  Try it for an hour or two and see if your alerts stop, they probably will.

0 Kudos
SantiagoPlatero
Collaborator

Will do Kevin, keep you posted. I also tried with a rule with the non-FQDN object (in access control and QoS rulebase) but didn't work. 

0 Kudos
SantiagoPlatero
Collaborator

Hi Kevin Vargo‌ just FYI, I changed the rule for the "cws.checkpoint.com" to "Any" in the destination column as you suggest (not sure how'll respond if we put the "Internet" object on it) and the alert didn't go off since then, so maybe that can be a valid workaround for the issue.

So thanks for keeping my inbox lighter 

0 Kudos
Kevin_Vargo
Collaborator

Good - You'll probably see traffic going to 84.39.153.31 that was once blocked and now likely is going through ok.

0 Kudos
SantiagoPlatero
Collaborator

Yeah, I've this traffic but I've it always allowed as implied, so maybe you've to check if you don't have a misconfiguration on your gateway, because that IP is Check Point's (the reverse resolves the domain ctmail.com, which Check Point documented is used for Suspicious Mail Outbreaks feature and the Anti-Spam blade).

Also, I put the Internet object in the destination instead of Any, and still don't have any new alert regarding the cws.checkpoint.com's connection. But on the other hand, I have some random errors of communication of the Threat Emulation blade (I use the Cloud, don't have a TE Appliance).

0 Kudos
Franco_Carched1
Contributor

Hi Santiago,

I was just looking at your rad log, and it seems to match this article exactly with the errors you see in the rad log.

"Failed to connect to Check Point Anti Malware detection service" message in SmartView Tracker 

the parts that dont match are contect length too high in your log in the example I am seeing

'Content-Length: ' is not found 
your shows
CRadHttpResponseFindContentLength::fetchValidateContentLengthValue: [ERROR] content length too high > 1000000

you are running R80.10 ? or what version ?

[rad_http_response_find_content_length.cpp:57] CRadHttpResponseFindContentLength::checkContentLength: [INFO] enter to ...
[rad 5771 4134303504]@AR-MTV-MUNFWGW[12 Nov 9:56:21] [rad_http_response_find_content_length.cpp:87] CRadHttpResponseFindContentLength::checkContentLength: [INFO] exit from ..
[rad 5771 4134303504]@AR-MTV-MUNFWGW[12 Nov 9:56:21] [rad_http_response_find_content_length.cpp:240] CRadHttpResponseFindContentLength::fetchValidateContentLengthValue: [ERROR] content length too high > 1000000
[rad 5771 4134303504]@AR-MTV-MUNFWGW[12 Nov 9:56:21] [rad_http_response_find_content_length.cpp:242] CRadHttpResponseFindContentLength::fetchValidateContentLengthValue: [INFO] exit from ..
[rad 5771 4134303504]@AR-MTV-MUNFWGW[12 Nov 9:56:21] [rad_http_response_runner.cpp:94] CRadHttpResponseRunner::run: [ERROR] error running chain <CRadHttpResponseFindContentLength>
[rad 5771 4134303504]@AR-MTV-MUNFWGW[12 Nov 9:56:21] [rad_http_response.cpp:71] CRadHttpResponse::handle_data: [ERROR] CRadHttpResponse:0x13b5ad44 error processing response buffer
[rad 5771 4134303504]@AR-MTV-MUNFWGW[12 Nov 9:56:21] [rad_connection.cpp:473] CRadConnection::CRadPender::handle_data: [ERROR] error processing http response
[rad 5771 4134303504]@AR-MTV-MUNFWGW[12 Nov 9:56:21] [rad_connection.cpp:880] CRadConnection::handle_data: [ERROR] error reading: 0x192f3a48, _dlen = 256
[rad 5771 4134303504]@AR-MTV-MUNFWGW[12 Nov 9:56:21] [rad_fwconn.cpp:1141] CRadFwConn::handle_data: [ERROR] error on data handle

0 Kudos
SantiagoPlatero
Collaborator

Hi Franco, I already check out that SK. Also I've the last JHF for R80.10:

This is Check Point CPinfo Build 914000190 for GAIA
[IDA]
      HOTFIX_R80_10

[CPFC]
      HOTFIX_R80_10
      HOTFIX_R80_10_JUMBO_HF Take: 154
      BUNDLE_CPINFO

[FW1]
      HOTFIX_R80_10
      BUNDLE_CPINFO

FW1 build number:
This is Check Point's software version R80.10 - Build 124
kernel: R80.10 - Build 104

[SecurePlatform]
      BUNDLE_CPINFO

[PPACK]
      HOTFIX_R80_10
      BUNDLE_CPINFO

[DIAG]
      HOTFIX_R80_10

[CVPN]
      HOTFIX_R80_10
      HOTFIX_MABDA_R80_10_J103_884

[CPUpdates]
      BUNDLE_R80_10_JUMBO_HF Take: 154
      BUNDLE_CPINFO Take: 0

[CPinfo]
      No hotfixes..

Kevin_Vargo
Collaborator

I have the same, 80.10 JHF 154.  I am getting similar email messages now on our internet facing clusters I see this morning. 

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events