Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TSOL
Collaborator
Jump to solution

About upgrade a smart-1 of Management High Availability

Hello Team

We want to update two management servers configured for Management High Availability from R81.10 to R81.20.

If I upgrade in the order of "primary management server" followed by "secondary management server," will the issue described in sk179794 always occur?

Upgrading Security Management Servers in Management High Availability from R80.20 and higher (checkp...

Thank you for the advice.

0 Kudos
32 Replies
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

That's what a clean install is, yes. I find in-place upgrades or CPUSE "clean-install" (which is very much NOT a clean install) on management servers to be wastes of time. Almost all of my management servers are VMs because Check Point's branded management servers are wildly overpriced and underpowered (spinning disks were the default for waaaay too long). It's really fast to reinstall the OS on a VM on decently modern hardware.

You need to upgrade the primary first, otherwise the secondary can't sync to it. I don't see much point to wiping and rebuilding the secondary, syncing to it, promoting it to primary, wiping and rebuilding the primary a second time, syncing to it, then promoting it back to primary. All the steps in italics seem unnecessary.

0 Kudos
TSOL
Collaborator

Thank you for all the advice.

I wanted to inform you that I successfully upgraded the production Smart-1 with Management HA from R81.10 to R81.20 JHF 176 using the following steps:

1. Upgraded the Primary Management Server to R81.20 using a Gaia Fresh Install.
  2. Upgraded the Secondary Management Server to R81.20 using a Gaia Fresh Install.
  3. Applied JHF 176 on the Primary Management Server.
  4. Applied JHF 176 on the Secondary Management Server.

None of the issues mentioned in the sk179794 occurred, and the gateways managed by the SMS were not affected.

Thank you so much.

the_rock
Legend
Legend

Great job!

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events