Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Antonis_Hassiot
Contributor
Jump to solution

Restrict RDP clipboard access with Harmony Endpoint when using Remote access.

I am trying to ensure that users that log on to VPN and RDP to their machine, can't copy/paste text/files over the RDP session. 

In Windows 10 this is controlled by the following registry: HKLM/SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\DisableClipboardRedirection. Set REG_DWORD to 1 for disable, 0 for enable clipboard.

clipboard.PNG

You can create a Compliance->Applications/Files check -> Modify and check registry, input the above key name in the registry value name, check REG_DWORD under "Reg type" and Exist under "Check registry key and value". 

redirection.PNG

The problem is that it seems the compliance check, goes and checks the wrong registry location. I found this is the case, by selecting Action=Update. I found that it updated the following location: HKLM/SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\DisableClipboardRedirection. So it's adding WOW6432Node in the registry path. 
Any idea on why this happens and how to resolve it? 

Setting the REG_DWORD to 1 on the WOW6432Node path doesn't disable the Clipboard in RDP. 

The machine running Harmony Endpoint is Windows 10 x64. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kwo
Participant

I had the same issue with another key under HKLM\Software in the past and according to TAC Compliance blade on 64-Bit windows checks are checking both 64-Bit and 32-Bit location of the registry but can only remediate the 32-Bit RegKey.

Therefore you have to workaround this by using a remediation batch script that will explicitly set the 64-Bit Key.

Example remediation batch script content (everything in one line):

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client" /v DisableClipboardRedirection /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f /reg:64

this is because the Compliance blade is running as a 32-Bit process

View solution in original post

5 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
0 Kudos
kwo
Participant

I had the same issue with another key under HKLM\Software in the past and according to TAC Compliance blade on 64-Bit windows checks are checking both 64-Bit and 32-Bit location of the registry but can only remediate the 32-Bit RegKey.

Therefore you have to workaround this by using a remediation batch script that will explicitly set the 64-Bit Key.

Example remediation batch script content (everything in one line):

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client" /v DisableClipboardRedirection /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f /reg:64

this is because the Compliance blade is running as a 32-Bit process

Antonis_Hassiot
Contributor

When I input the above line under "Registry value", it fails to Save the configuration. I guess something is wrong with the statement. I am running 81.10 on a cloud server. Is there some documentation on how to write the statement for this version? I see that different versions position the 'reg add' verb in different locations in the statement.  

0 Kudos
kwo
Participant

You can't put this into the value field. You have to define a remediation action and use the above line in a .bat file hosted on a webserver and downloadable from all clients

0 Kudos
Antonis_Hassiot
Contributor

Thanks. 

I tried a remediation action to run the .bat file from an internet located web server and also from a location on the client PC (File://C:\Program Files (x86)\Checkpoint), but I get the same error in both cases: 

clired.png

When I perform a curl, it downloads the file from the URL fine. Also when I test running the .bat file manually with admin rights, it adds the registry key ok.  Not sure if it's rights issue. I use Run as System option.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events