Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dan_Roddy
Collaborator

Internet Exlplorer is not a browser according to Microsoft

If the intended use of IE is for legacy applications, we really need Sandblast support for Edge.

Here is what Microsoft is saying about IE:

"Is Internet Explorer (IE) a browser? According to Microsoft, no. Today, it's a 'compatibility solution' for enterprise customers to deal with legacy sites that should be updated for modern browsers.

Chris Jackson, Microsoft's worldwide lead for cybersecurity, really doesn't want enterprise customers to use IE for all web traffic, even though for some organizations that would be the easiest option.

Companies in that situation are willing to take on 'technical debt', such as paying for extended support for a legacy software, but that habit needs to stop in the case of IE, argues Jackson in a new blog post, 'The perils of using Internet Explorer as your default browser'."

credit goes to ZDnet for this piece: https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-security-chief-ie-is-not-a-browser-so-stop-using-it-as-your-...

5 Replies
idhammer
Contributor

Despite the name Internet EXPLORER? What an irony 😄

Btw Microsoft Edge is quite powerful, I believe its users will slowly increase behind Chrome. So yes, I second the Sandblast support for Edge.
Alex-
Advisor
Advisor

Isn't Edge turning away to Chromium anyway? Which should mean that as a Chrome add-on, Sandblast should be supported in Edge once it's done. So investing now in EdgeHTML is probably a dead end.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/12/06/microsoft-edge-making-the-web-better-through-...

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

My understanding is EDGE lacks an appropriate plug-in architecture to support the SandBlast plug-in.
And if Microsoft is switching to Chromium in the end, then it doesn't seem wise to invest in building something specific to EDGE.
That's just my personal take, though.
0 Kudos
Lior_Arzi
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

All of the above is correct.

Microsoft never finished to develop Edge (many of the extension APIs are still in development waiting to be released for the last couple of years). They also plan to move to Chromium.

Given this, we plan on adding Edge support based on this new version.

Thanks

Lior

0 Kudos
Christian_Sandb
Employee
Employee

Hi,

SBA4B already works but the config is not managed by SBA as it uses a different reg key. One can easily add SBA4B to when visiting https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions in Chrome-based Edge 

If someone knows how to redirect/ automatically copy registry keys it can even get the config from SBA while waiting for official support. This is for sure not officially supported by any of the parties and time frame depends on many factors so it is not known yet. 

Kudos to Martin Koldovsky for the below screenshots.

HTH,

Christian

tmp.pngtmp2.pngtmp3.pngtmp4.pngtmp5.png 

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events