Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kathanasiou
Participant
Jump to solution

Harmony Endpoint on Imaged Workstation

Hello,

I am dealing with a situation where Harmony Endpoint was installed on a workstation and then that workstation was used as an image to create a few dozen other systems (yes unfortunately bad practice!). Harmony Endpoint seems to see these machine as one object with its name switching based on which workstation communicated last. I imagine this is due to a unique ID that is in a configuration file or windows registry, as usual to most agent-based applications.

• Is there an easy way to fix this problem without having to uninstall and cleanup files and registry on each system?
  • Is there a configuration file or registry entry that when deleted will create the object and update it in Harmony Endpoint?
  • Will reinstalling over the existing installation, remedy the situation?
  • Lastly is there any documentation that describes the steps to initialize the Harmony Endpoint client on the workstation before using it for an image?

Thanks in advance! 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

When you install Harmony Endpoint it generates a GUID for that install.
Clone that Windows image, you clone the GUID with it.
The best practice is not trigger the install of the MSI until after the cloned image boots the first time (I.e. don’t Install the MSI, then clone).

TAC might be able to tell you how to fix this without reinstalling the client on these images, though I suspect that might be what you have to do here.

View solution in original post

(1)
3 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

When you install Harmony Endpoint it generates a GUID for that install.
Clone that Windows image, you clone the GUID with it.
The best practice is not trigger the install of the MSI until after the cloned image boots the first time (I.e. don’t Install the MSI, then clone).

TAC might be able to tell you how to fix this without reinstalling the client on these images, though I suspect that might be what you have to do here.

(1)
Michi
Participant

Do you have a best practice sk for systems that needs to be cloned?

I search through the checkpoint supportcenter but cannot find a good explanation how to work with existing VMs that later needs to be cloned.

Thank you and best regards,

Michele E.

^ME
0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

It's like I said above: from our point of view, you don't "install" the MSI on your golden image, but only after it's cloned.
More precisely, just copy the MSI to the image.
While I'm not familiar with the precise details, I imagine the installer can be involved post-cloning by a script or similar.
That will allow the clients built from that cloned image to get their own unique GUID.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events