Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeB
Advisor

CloudGuard Edge Sizing

I am a little confused about the licensing and sizing that should be considered for CloudGuard Edge.

According to the CloudGuard Edge datasheet it indicates that the minimum features are CPU:1 RAM:1 Disk:1 but in the Release Notes for KVM/ESX it indicates CPU:2 RAM:2 Disk:3 (not configurable).

So would it be necessary to consider two CloudGuard Edge licenses (CP-CGE-NGTP-1X) as a minimum to deploy it on KVM/ESX?

Also, for sizing issues, how much throughput could be considered with 1vCPU or 2vCPU? Or any other suggestion for proper sizing?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Believe you'll want two cores (and two licenses), yes.
I suspect the actual throughput will depend on the strength of the underlying CPU, but I would guess we're talking a few hundred megabytes of NGTP throughput.

MikeB
Advisor

Hi PhoneBoy, Is there any Performance Test available that we can consider for this?? How can we do a proper (or at least estimate) sizing considering 1vCPU. 

Would it be helpful to know what type of CPU has the 15xx appliances?? (I can't find any info)

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

SMB appliances use ARM CPUs, whereas CloudGuard Edge runs on Intel ones.
They’re not exactly comparable.

Also, pretty sure the R80.x versions of CloudGuard Edge require two cores.
The original datasheet was created with the R77.20 code, which could run on a single core.

0 Kudos
MikeB
Advisor

Thank you very much for the information PhoneBoy. It is dissapointing that there is no further information on how to correctly sizing with Cloudguard Edge for EXSi/KVM. I hope soon Check Point can publish some reference performance data.

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Did you raised this with your local partner/ CP local office?

PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

There are performance figures published for specific SD-WAN appliances, but not "general" ones.
I know some additional performance testing is being done right now.
As Val suggested, recommend engaging through your local office. 

MikeB
Advisor

Thank you @PhoneBoy  and @_Val_. I am actually a CP Partner trying to find this info for our customers. I will try to move forward with our local Check Point contact.

rakesh_ar
Explorer

Hi @MikeB

Wondering if you got any sizing information for CloudGuard Edge on KVM/ESXi

Thankyou.

0 Kudos
Jeff_Engel
Employee
Employee

Thanks @MikeB for the mention.

@rakesh_ar , please let me know how I can help.

MikeB
Advisor

Yes, I received a message from @Jeff_Engel from Check Point who helped me with sizing.

2 vCPU with a somewhat modern CPU and 2 GB of RAM should give you at least 300 Mbps of NGTX.  But sure Check Point are willing to help you POC it and prove it out before any commitments are made.

Also, 1 vCPU and 1 GB RAM is possible but performance will be reduced a fair amount.

0 Kudos
Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events