Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
enhuk
Explorer
Jump to solution

Trouble installing R81.20 SMS in AWS

Hi folks,

Has anyone run into this before?

I bungled a build of "Check Point Security Management (BYOL)" (m5.xlarge) and terminated the instance. Trying to start from scratch after a new one comes up, I browse to the WebUI, enter credentials admin/admin at the login page expecting the First Time wizard but get "Permission Denied" and on the console, "Login incorrect".

- I've tried the same build procedure in a different AWS account and get these same results
- SSH with Putty results in "No supported authentication methods available (server sent: publickey)"
- From the console I try to enter Maintenance Mode during bootup but get an incorrect login error again

These are the first lines displayed when kicking off a reboot:

insmod: error inserting '/lib/hv_vmbus.ko' : -1 No such device
insmod: error inserting '/lib/hv_storvac.ko' : -1 Unknown symbol in module

Backstory:

2 days ago I brought up an EC2 instance of "Check Point Security Management (BYOL)" m5.xlarge. Everything worked as expected, First Time Configuration Wizard completed, SSH, WebUI and Smart Console logins worked without issue.

Yesterday I went to connect, the AWS dynamic IP had changed and my SSH public key auth no longer worked. I spent some time trying to fix this on the console, no luck, and some more time trying to setup password-auth, no luck there either. I gave up and terminated the instance imagining I could start over.

AMI name: Check Point CloudGuard IaaS BYOL R81.20-631.1243-64876998-14d3-4310-809d-31b21b311766

AMID ID: ami-00e789b4e0006398d

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Shay_Levin
Admin
Admin

Hi, 

When you deploy to the cloud , you don't run the first time wizard.

Please use the management template from this link 

After deployment wait about 15 min and the machine will be ready.

To make sure it's ready , connect over ssh and run in expert mode 'api status' , once the service is up and running you are good to go.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Shay_Levin
Admin
Admin

Hi, 

When you deploy to the cloud , you don't run the first time wizard.

Please use the management template from this link 

After deployment wait about 15 min and the machine will be ready.

To make sure it's ready , connect over ssh and run in expert mode 'api status' , once the service is up and running you are good to go.

enhuk
Explorer

Thanks for this, I'll give it a try and share how I get on.

0 Kudos
enhuk
Explorer

Update: I've got a management server up and running now using the template without difficulty, thanks again.

One issue I'll need to look into: on one machine SSH with PuTTY (v.76 and .78) errors out with "Server refused public-key signature despite accepting key!" but on a different machine it works fine.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.