Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FrozT
Participant

FW monitor -F syntax

I don't understand why they nerf'd 'fw monitor -e' in favor of 'fw monitor -F'?  My opinions aside ノಠ_ಠノ, how do we convert old syntax such as this:

fw monitor -e "accept net(13.64.0.0,11) and host(10.0.0.1);"

how do I do that with -F?

8 Replies
Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

You don't. -F is a simple capture filter that relies on Kernel Debug filters and doesn't support supernetting. However, it supports using wildcards.

So you have two options:

1. fw monitor -F "10.0.0.1,0,13.*.*.*,0,0" -F "13.*.*.*,0,10.0.0.1,0,0"
  2. fwaccel off; fw monitor -e "accept net(13.64.0.0,11) and host(10.0.0.1);"; fwaccel on
FrozT
Participant

Option 1 is not the same thing and option 2 isn't really an option because fw monitor -e doesn't work anymore regardless if acceleration is turned on or off.  It will not filter anything and instead spit back what I can only guess is all the traffic.

So basically Checkpoint has removed one of the best troubleshooting methods and that's that.  I can't believe that they've taken fw monitor away from us...

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

fw monitor -F "10.0.0.1,0,13.*.*.*,0,0" -F "13.*.*.*,0,10.0.0.1,0,0"

This syntax doesn't seem to work correctly for me, as an example this works as expected:

fw monitor -F 4.2.2.2,*,*,*,* -F 0,0,4.2.2.2,0,0

However this next one doesn't install a filter at all, and just gives me everything unfiltered:

fw monitor -F 4.2.2.*,*,*,*,* -F 0,0,4.2.2.2,0,0

I've noticed that if you typo the -F filter it doesn't error out but just gives you everything unfiltered which is a bit dangerous in my opinion.  Example:

fw monitor -F totalgarbage

I get every possible packet unfiltered, it even says "Compiled OK".  Huh?

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

Right, that's another reason such complex tools should always come with a user interface that performs syntax checking. Such as my FW Monitor SuperTool. If I'd only find the time to add -F simple capture syntax support to it. Currently my entire free time is taken by Check Points CoreXL team to advance my CoreXL Dynamic Balancing extension to fully control the Dynamic Split via SmartConsole.

0 Kudos
stallwoodj
Collaborator

Does it always support wildcards? because our R80.40 firewall complains!

[Expert@FW-INET-B:0]# fw monitor -F "0,0,10.223.*.*,0,0" -F "0,0,10.224.*.*,0,0" -F "10.223.*.*,0,0,0,0" -F "10.224.*.*,0,0"
PPAK 0: Get before set operation succeeded of fwmonitor_kiss_enable
PPAK 0: Get before set operation succeeded of simple_debug_filter_off
PPAK 0: Get before set operation succeeded of kiss_debug_force_kdprintf_enable
PPAK 0: Get before set operation succeeded of fwmonitorfreebufs
PPAK 0: Get before set operation succeeded of kiss_debug_force_kdprintf_enable
Invalid destination IP address 10.223.*.* in debug filter

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Good catch...I tried in R81.20 jumbo 14 lab and it was exact same error you got. Maybe someone from CP can confirm if this is expected...

Andy

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

This is expected behavior, you cannot use any wildcards or other special characters/ranges with the -F option.  Getting an error message like that is much better than what it used to do when the matching syntax/characters were invalid, which was to happily give you a completely unfiltered capture with no warning.  Not a good outcome on a busy gateway...

Also beware of some unexpected interaction between fw ctl zdebug drop and fw monitor -F if you try to run them simultaneously as described here:  Max Capture Update 2: Debug Filter Battle -- fw monitor -F vs. fw ctl zdebug + drop

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Thats definitely true, as I checked after making my post about it...we still have ongoing case with TAC escalation team about route based VPN issue and guy asked us to run fw monitor -F flag with wildcard and it was failing and I even told him it failed in my R81.20 lab, to which he responded it was normal.

Andy

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events