cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gill
Participant

Can't add multiple hosts to a given group

Hey, 

I am using R80.30 and I'm experiencing an odd problem. I am adding multiple hosts using automated process and the API and linking the hosts to a certain group. The output of all these adding commands indicated that all the hosts were added and the hosts are indeed in the group, but when I preform show group or just looking in the SmartConsole I see that only 3 out of 10 hosts were linked to the group (all the 10 hosts were created successfully, but without the group).

I can edit the hosts with the group afterwards without errors.  If I try to add the hosts manually one by one (not using an automated process or a tool), the hosts are created with the group.

Am I missing something? Is there a limitation to R80.30? 

Thank you! 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
FraP
Contributor

How do you perform this operations? At first glance, it seems like you don't publish the sessions after adding all objects...

0 Kudos
Gill
Participant

Thanks for your response.

All the host objects are created successfully using one session, but only few of the host objects are created with groups value. 

I don't think this could e a problem related to publish as the objects are created. Do I need to publish after every add host command? that does not seem right...

Could it be a CheckPoint limitation? 

Thanks again

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Please provide the precise script/code you used to perform these operations.
Tend to agree, a publish operation was missed somewhere.

0 Kudos
Gill
Participant

Thanks for your response. 

All the host objects are created successfully using one session, but only few of the host objects are created with groups value. I don't think this problem is related to publish as the objects are created. Do I need to publish after every add host command? that does not seem right...

Could it be a CheckPoint limitation? 

Thanks again

0 Kudos
funkylicious
Advisor

Just create the hosts separately and use the set-group api to add hosts to an existing group or add-group to create a new one, both work with lists so you can add multiple hosts. This should work.

0 Kudos
Gill
Participant

This is what I do right now but I was wondering is there are reason that the straight forward way to add new hosts with groups is not working for me. 

0 Kudos
funkylicious
Advisor

I think that you need to publish after each host that you create/add to a group, if you are using the add-host api.

0 Kudos
Gill
Participant

I don't understand why. I am able to use the same session id to manually add 10 different hosts and add the hosts to a group and than publish. When I do that everything works fine and I am not publishing after every host that I create and add to a group. 

Why can't I do this with an automated process? Is there a limitation to CheckPoint regarding adding many hosts to one group? 

0 Kudos
Tomer_Noy
Employee
Employee

It should not be necessary to publish in between your API activity.

What you are doing should be possible in a single session.

If you share your script, it may be possible to understand why it's not working.

Also note that in R80.40 you can also use batch APIs to add multiple hosts in a single call for better performance.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events