Is there a release date here yet?

Regards

Heiko

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE
51 Replies
Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

Probably right at or shortly after CPX 2019 in Vienna.

HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

I hope at the CPX 2019 in Vienna.

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE
Martin_Valenta
Advisor

Isn't it too fast? Smiley Happy R80.20 GA is not fully available, on places like 3.10 on Openservers/Appliances..

HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

Even if the version R80.20 is officially recommended, I would like to use it with the customer.  Many customers don't see through the versions anymore.

I explain to all customers the versions and the Linux kernel versions and file systems and and and.

Management: R80.20.m1 > R80.20   > R80.20.m2

Gateway for Open Server:

HP DL 360/380 G9 > R80.20 with 2.60 Kernel and old file system

HP DL 360/380 G10 > R80.20 with 3.10 Kernel and XFS file system

It is a little bit chaos. I would prefer a new version R80.30.

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE
Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

R80.30 will be available soon. Only use Management Feature releases for a reason, otherwise stay with the GA and the official vendor recommendation.

PBC_Cyber
Contributor

More like never use Management Feature releases anywhere but a lab.

Dorit_Dor
Employee
Employee

We will release maintrain twice a year and release it in granular way. Initially for those who need it specifically and later make it default. 

You can leverage this to quickly use what you need

if you do not need it, you can wait for it to become the default. You will not see it in cpuse initially like we did in r80.20. So in fact until its really it will take time until its widely adopted like happened w r80.20. 

As indicated M releases are special management only releases and they will never become default - you can move between M releases or from M to maintrain. Use M releases if you need new functionality that is delivered (or wat for the main train and use it there). 

The goal is to enable new capabilities fast targetting the audiance that need it. 

HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

THX Dorit for this information. 

Now to my main question.

When will R80.30 GA (management + gateways) be available?

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE
Dorit_Dor
Employee
Employee

This quarter

Bring more EAs and we will release faster

JozkoMrkvicka
Mentor
Mentor

@Dorit_Dor wrote:
This quarter

Bring more EAs and we will release faster

End of Q1 2019 is around the corner 🙂

Kind regards,
Jozko Mrkvicka
0 Kudos
RickHoppe
Advisor

I’ve missed the R80.30 Public EA in this discussion. Will that be skipped if you plan to release the GA in Q1?
My blog: https://checkpoint.engineer
0 Kudos
Dorit_Dor
Employee
Employee

With short project, we dont have time for significant public ea so right now its mostly private ea ... we may still have public ea for sort while before release but if you want to join the ea, please join the private ea today 

RickHoppe
Advisor

Currently I don’t have production customers willing to participate to the private EA. With the public EA it would be easier for them, and us engineers, to participate and test it before the GA will be installed on production environments.

0 Kudos
Kim_Moberg
Advisor

Sad. I have only have had possitive experience. Great EA team and fast R&D guys working hard to solve issues if they occur.

I can strongly recommend it. 

Best regards

Kim

Best Regards
Kim
RickHoppe
Advisor

That’s great. I do believe the potential it has with being directly in touch with R&D but most customers do see risks.

0 Kudos
Kim_Moberg
Advisor

I understand. Been participating in EA program the last 5 years. Good experience and very competent techies. Kudos to Alexandra Gofman and Alexander Sazonov and Pavel Levitan 

I think the problem is the customee being told it is early and running bleading edge technology which is true but full attention from EA team and R&D.

I am running R80.20 AC now and the first time we installed the CPU usage went high. Then we did fail-back to local (firewall host) and it normalized and waited to the next EA halo take to be installed.

Now running a stable version.

Customers will experience a strong relationship with the EA team and the more they involve themselves in the process the closer they are with check point. This is what we want.

They also get new features and technologies that is being developed and test it into production.

If it does go wrong with the upgrade they can also cancel the upgrade and go back to normal production. This never happens to me.

Customers needs to be involved and cannot just rely on check point partners taking care of the installation and communication. It is been check point customer and check point directly. Thats how I see it.

If you need any reference please dont hesitate to contact me.

Br

Kim

Best Regards
Kim
RickHoppe
Advisor

Thanks for sharing your experiences with production EA. It is valuable PR for production EA’s that I miss. Perhaps Check Point can share more customer experiences when announcing EA’s to get more customers involved.

Kim_Moberg
Advisor

Yeah we need more user experience in th EA program in production.

Have you read this publication written by Niels Poulsen which by the way also a good friend of me?

He is explaining the EA program in production environment from a Security Engineer point of view. Inspirational I think.

https://community.checkpoint.com/people/9ab1752a-c2b8-463d-b0d8-1cb5d8f2e500/blog/2017/11/23/do-you-...

BR

Kim

Best Regards
Kim
RickHoppe
Advisor

A very good read indeed. It gives me more background info what I can use in the future. Without being part of the EA I understand the big effort the EA teams and R&D deliver and really do appreciate it. Who knows what the future brings.

0 Kudos
HeikoAnkenbrand
Champion Champion
Champion

Yes it is a great EA team and all R&D guys working hard to solve issues if they occur.

I can also strongly recommend it. 

Regard

Heiko

➜ CCSM Elite, CCME, CCTE
RickHoppe
Advisor

Still one question though. Will it be released as R80.30.M1 in Q1 or R80.30 GA?

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

There will likely be a R80.30.M1, but it will be after R80.30 GA. 

Gilad_Tavasi
Employee
Employee

Good news, we decided to release it to public EA this week. Looking forward to your feedback.

JozkoMrkvicka
Mentor
Mentor

Kind regards,
Jozko Mrkvicka
RickHoppe
Advisor

Great! Fine example of how CheckMates can work for the community and Check Point.

Martin_Valenta
Advisor

How many EA is running on big environments? Like 12 domains on MDS/MLM which manage around 300+ gateways. I would guess that it’s mainly running on smaller setups.

0 Kudos
Kim_Moberg
Advisor

Good questions

EA team emulate your setup even before they come and install EA version.

Using EA team using their eacollect data scripts of SMS and gateways.

You upload data export to their sftp server and then the Technician starts restoring and replicating your setup.

In that way they are preparing and asking questions to understand your network.

When they arrive they have gameplan for the EA.

This works for us.

Best regards 

Kim

Best Regards
Kim
0 Kudos
Kim_Moberg
Advisor

I do think Check Point has EA Program for MDS/MLM. Have you asked them?

Br

Kim

Best Regards
Kim
JozkoMrkvicka
Mentor
Mentor

Do we know what will be the next naming after R80.30 ?

R80.40 ? R81.10 ? R90 ?

Kind regards,
Jozko Mrkvicka
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events