cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rahul_Borah
Contributor

RAM required for Application control and URL filtering Blade

Dear all,

In my setup, I am using firewalls and IPS blades. And now I am going to enable Application control and URL filtering blade in my existing setup. But in my gateway physical memory install 8 GB only and free memory is around 1.65 GB.

So my concern is how much more RAM is required for enabling both blades (Application control and URL filtering). So we can upgrade the RAM size as per requirement.

My existing RAM size is 8 GB (free 1.65 GB) and two blades are enabled (IPS and Firewall)
Gateway family is 15400
OS GAIA R80.20

Regards,

RB

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

The amount of additional RAM required for these two blades should be pretty minimal if you already have IPS enabled, which does a fair amount of operation in the same processing path (PSLXL) as APCL/URLF.  Post the outputs of free -m and fw ctl pstat for a quick check to see if your firewall is low on memory.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

If you've already turned on IPS, then you've already running the same engines App Control and URL Filtering use.
App Control does have some additional signatures that will be in memory and URL Filtering uses cloud lookups.
Unless you have an excessive number of concurrent connections (somewhere over a million), you should be fine.

0 Kudos
Rahul_Borah
Contributor

Thanks for your reply,

My main concern is blocking public VPN traffic (exm--turbo VPN) on my firewall end. And for this, I have logged a call with OEM and they suggest me to enable both blades.

Kindly suggest

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Yeah, you'll need App Control/URL Filtering for that.
And, like I said, you've already got the engines running because you're using IPS, so the additional memory utilization will be minimal.
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

Tue 23 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (EDT)

East US: What's New in R82

Thu 25 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)

APAC: CPX 2024 Recap

Tue 30 Apr 2024 @ 03:00 PM (CDT)

EMEA: CPX 2024 Recap

Thu 02 May 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)

APAC: What's new in R82

Tue 23 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (EDT)

East US: What's New in R82

Thu 25 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)