cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jason_Dance
Collaborator

Optimize vs Recommended Protection

Hi all.

Does anyone have a good document describing the differences in the default IPS profiles in R80.x?  I use Recommended Protection on my R77.x gateways, but now I've upgraded management to R80 I was wondering if there was a benefit to changing tot he optimized profile on my R77.x gateways.

-Jason

0 Kudos
3 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

From the documentation

SmartConsole includes these default Threat Prevention profiles:

• Optimized - Provides excellent protection for common network products and protocols against recent or popular attacks
  • Strict - Provides a wide coverage for all products and protocols, with impact on network performance
  • Basic - Provides reliable protection on a range of non-HTTP protocols for servers, with minimal impact on network performance

Optimized is the default in R80.x and generally only enables signatures that don't have critical performance impact.

Strict enables almost all signatures. 

Jason_Dance
Collaborator

Thanks Dameon.

How does the Optimized profile differ from the Recommended Protection profile?

-Jason

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Basic has a few more protections enabled than Default, but is designed to have minimal performance impact.

Strict has more protections enabled than Recommended--almost all of them, in fact--and will have a performance impact.

Optimized has less protections enabled than Recommended, providing a good balance between performance and security.

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events