Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CheckPointerXL
Advisor
Jump to solution

"Reload in" feature (Cisco)

Hello Team

what do you think about the chance to implement the "reload" feature like cisco's devices do it?

I mean, especially for changes in gaia clish (i guess for DB revisions is a little bit complicated, but it could be useful too)...

Sometimes it happens that, working remotely (especially during changes on ISP side), I would feel safer if I could configure reload paramater. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gojira
Collaborator
Collaborator

changes in clish don't get automatically saved.

So you could execute "shutdown -r +10" (10 minutes)

And cancel with "shutdown -c"

If its a cloning group it'd be a bit more difficult because it's automatically saved.. Might need to script something to restore previous config before reboot

View solution in original post

8 Replies
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Can you please elaborate on a use case?

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

You mean the ability to schedule or delay it? E.g.

router#reload in 5

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
CheckPointerXL
Advisor

exact

@_Val_  lot of use cases, change to static/dynamic routes is of course the most common; sometimes for some reasons not related to your config, you need to roll back, and it could happen that it is too late for you to reach the fws again.

i'm pretty sure that list is longer but is the first use case that come to my mind

0 Kudos
Gojira
Collaborator
Collaborator

changes in clish don't get automatically saved.

So you could execute "shutdown -r +10" (10 minutes)

And cancel with "shutdown -c"

If its a cloning group it'd be a bit more difficult because it's automatically saved.. Might need to script something to restore previous config before reboot

CheckPointerXL
Advisor

That's a great trick! Thank you

Gojira
Collaborator
Collaborator

I'm not correct about cloning group in clish, you still need to save config looks like.

So if it's a cloning group you can still do that.

firefox_8RJCB29Fb4.png

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Save config to a file, load from a file - these functionalities are already available for you. Or do you mean, automatic reload with some delay? I am still missing the use case.

0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

The idea is to save you from a situation where you make a CLI config change which breaks your ability to access the box. With the "shutdown -r +10" trick, if you make the change and the change prevents you from issuing the "shutdown -c" command, the box reboots itself automatically and undoes the change you made which broke your access. It's good for remote sites without people on-hand who are allowed to work on the systems in question.

I personally prefer Juniper's CLI config system, which can commit many changes all as one atomic operation, and which can roll them back as one atomic operation. You stage a bunch of changes, issue "commit confirmed", and if you don't issue another "commit" within ten minutes, the changes applied with "commit confirmed" are rolled back. No reboot involved.

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events