cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kehagen
Contributor

gateways failing until policies are pushed

Hello,

I have r77 gateways 4400.  Two of them are in a cluster.  We lost connectivity to the inside last night. I pushed the policies and then I could get connectivity.  Then same thing happened this morning.  I looked at the switch and a mac address is flapping on the inside with the mac of the firewall cluster.  I can get to the inside, but it seems to be a recurring problem and not sure what is causing it.  Any ideas where to look?  Thanks.

Ken

0 Kudos
17 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Hey Kenny,

Sounds like could be routing issue. Maybe do zdebug when this happens if you have console, since it sounds like ssh fails when issue is there. PLEASE upgrade, no one in TAC will even bother with this, its long time unsupported version.

Andy

kehagen
Contributor

Thanks Andy.  I will try that.  Yes we’re trying to upgrade asap.  

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Yes sir, you should! Now I will go about my weekend birthday celebration...one year older, man, nothing to celebrate 🤣🤣

Cheers,

Andy

kehagen
Contributor

Happy birthday! and thanks for your suggestion.  

ken

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Thank you! Have a nice weekend.

Andy

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion Champion
Champion

Sounds like an ARP issue to me, as a policy installation will force a gratuitous ARP for all firewall and NAT addresses if the cluster object is not set to use VMAC (which is the default behavior).  Next time you have an outage, check the ARP caches of the surrounding routers, are they losing the IP to MAC mapping for the firewall and/or NAT addresses?  Command fw ctl arp might be helpful to diagnose.  If it is found to be an ARP issue, you can try setting VMAC on the cluster, reinstall policy twice and see if it helps.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
kehagen
Contributor

Thank you Timothy I will try that today. I go onsite to troubleshoot today. 

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Hey Kenny,

Let us know how it goes. I see what Tim is saying, if arp is not there, it will never work, sort of goes without saying. Mind you, that coommand would show you if there are ny proxy arp entries.

Andy

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

You can also run just arp, as I did below in my lab. So in my case, 172.16.10.1 is our lab Fortigate.

Andy

[Expert@CP-STANDALONE-backup:0]# arp
Address HWtype HWaddress Flags Mask Iface
172.16.10.233 ether 50:06:00:07:00:00 C eth0
172.16.10.126 ether 00:0c:29:27:56:d6 C eth0
172.16.10.1 ether e8:1c:ba:4e:89:87 C eth0
[Expert@CP-STANDALONE-backup:0]#

0 Kudos
kehagen
Contributor

When doing arp on the problem gateways, I only get 2 arps, one for management and one for the cluster interface.  When comparing to a known good gateway, there are many more arps for all the devices behind the firewall.

0 Kudos
kehagen
Contributor

the arps look ok on the inside.  

on the firewalls i get:

[Expert@gto-fw-1:0]# fw ctl arp
No proxy ARP entries
[Expert@gto-fw-1:0]#

I checked the vmac and it is already applied.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Can you just run arp?

Andy

0 Kudos
kehagen
Contributor

yes, i did run arp, i only see 2 arps.  mgmt and cluster.  for some reason it is not getting all the other arps from the devices inside.  could it be a certificate or license problem?  the cert is good until 12/26/23, so that is next thing to do after i fix this.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Apologies mate, missed your first response, my bad. Long day troubleshooting Cisco/Fortigate vpn issue lol. Anyway, so here is my suggestion...can you verify that routes are similar? Just type route from expert mode and compare.

Kind regards,

Andy

0 Kudos
kehagen
Contributor

yes the routes are the same.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Got it. Any luck so far or still same issue?

Andy

0 Kudos
kehagen
Contributor

Same issue.  Also I tried to renew the cert and got an error message.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events