Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bob_Zimmerman
Advisor

VSX, clish, and bash?

Is there some way to start clish in a particular VSID? I'm tired of switching into a context, doing some troubleshooting, then going into clish to check OSPF neighbors and winding up in VS0.

9 Replies
JozkoMrkvicka
Leader
Leader

set your account as /bin/bash (set user xxx shell /bin/bash)

then once you log in, you are in expert mode.

going into different VSID: vsenv <ID>

checking clish commands: clish -c "<clish command here>" (quotes are part of command)

Kind regards,
Jozko Mrkvicka
Bob_Zimmerman
Advisor

That is, roughly speaking, how I work right now. I don’t know of a way to enter clish for the context I am currently using in bash, though. I don’t see any command line argument for it, and clish clearly ignores /proc/self/vrf when launching a new instance.

clish -c “someCommand” is nice … for running things in VS0. Running multi-line commands like that is irritating, and since clish always goes to VS0 when it launches, all commands in particular VSs would be multi-line.

I’m looking for a way to get into clish for the context I’m currently set to in bash (the other way around would also be good, but less useful to me).

Wolfgang
Leader
Leader

@Bob_Zimmerman 

„set virtual-system VSID“ in clish changes  your context.

Another option is to write your needed commands in a small script in the first line with setting the right context and then execute these script via „clish -f filename“ from bash.

Wolfgang

Bob_Zimmerman
Advisor

I'm aware of how to change the context once in clish. I'm asking for a way to avoid needing to do that.

I'm already in the VS. How do I get clish to recognize this rather than going all amnesiac? For example, if I run:

vsenv 2

clish -c "show ospf neighbors"

... it shows me the OSPF neighbors for VS0. In what universe is that expected or rational behavior?

Obviously the right thing to do would be for clish to pay attention to the contents of /proc/self/vrf when it launches and to run in that context. Further, it should do the vsenv stuff in the background when you change VSs in it so if you change VSs in bash, enter clish, change to another VS, then exit clish, your bash session will be in the VS you were in in clish. If there was a way to specify on the command line that I want a clish session in <VSID>, that would be acceptable (though still less than ideal), because I could just alias 'clish' to add '-v $(cat /proc/self/vrf)' to the invocation.

0 Kudos
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

Use clish -f and put your most used commands in some specific txt files that you can simply call like:
clish -f ospfneighbors

On top of that you can use @HeikoAnkenbrand's trick to create a separate command that will use clish -f for a single command, to be found here. 

Regards, Maarten
Wolfgang
Leader
Leader

@Bob_Zimmerman

I understand your pain but it's how it works.

Following @Maarten_Sjouw idea using @HeikoAnkenbrand rewrite....

Create a new "c" script for every context you need:

##############################################

echo "echo set virtual-system 4 > /var/log/clish.txt" > /bin/c4
echo "echo \$@ >> /var/log/clish.txt" >> /bin/c4
echo "clish -f /var/log/clish.txt" >> /bin/c4
chmod 770 /bin/c4

##############################################

Now you can execute with "c4" any clish command in VS context 4. Do the same for every other context.

Wolfgang

0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Advisor

Rather than a different script for each VSID hard-coded to go to that VSID, it's easier to just "set virtual-system $(cat /proc/self/vrf)". But that gave me an idea for something simple:

#!/bin/env bash
printf "set virtual-system $(cat /proc/self/vrf)\n$(echo "$@")\nexit\n" | clish
echo ""

It's not the prettiest, but it automatically works in the current VRF. It's a shame clish -c flips out about newlines in the command. Otherwise, it would be possible to do something similar as clish -c "$(echo "set virtual-system $(cat /proc/self/vrf)";echo "$@")", which is slightly more elegant than the printf.

PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Pretty sure this is an RFE.
0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Advisor

Those are the magic words I was looking for. 😜 My sales team suggested I post here in case it was already possible and they just weren't aware.

0 Kudos