Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JasonMcAllister
Contributor
Jump to solution

VSLS - Documentation on 'Active Up' and 'Higher Up' modes.

Hi All,

I'm trying to find some documentation which describes the differences and use cases for the option to toggle between Active Up and Higher Up VSLS modes in vsx_util.

I've checked through VSLS documentation in the R80.30 VSX admin guide but it seems not to be even mentioned.

Does anyone have details on what the use cases between each would be and what they actually do/differ?

Many thanks,

Jason

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
It controls the behavior of what happens when the primary active member for a VS becomes active after a failure.
In regular ClusterXL (non-VSX), the primary member becomes the primary for the cluster once again.
In VSX, the default is to not fail back to the primary when it comes back up.
This "HigherUp" option changes the behavior in VSLS to be like regular ClusterXL.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
It controls the behavior of what happens when the primary active member for a VS becomes active after a failure.
In regular ClusterXL (non-VSX), the primary member becomes the primary for the cluster once again.
In VSX, the default is to not fail back to the primary when it comes back up.
This "HigherUp" option changes the behavior in VSLS to be like regular ClusterXL.
0 Kudos
JasonMcAllister
Contributor

Thank you @PhoneBoy for your response.

In summary:

Active Up - The VS that has failed over will remain in place and not return to the original recovered member.

Higher Up - The VS, like regular ClusterXL, will return.

My experience in VSLS, however, is that the load sharing weights and preferred orders of a VS will move to be active on the recovered member if it was - Which is what I expect as it is Load Sharing and not just availability.

Is this behaviour change more applicable to VSHA?

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
That may very well be the case.
I found a very brief explanation of this in a couple of TAC cases and was trying to extrapolate it.
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events