Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hari122939_
Participant

Upgradation for Security Management Server and 2 Security Gateway Clusters(1600 & 5200)

Hello Team,

I have a requirement to upgrade the Security management server and 2 clusters(1600 and 5200).My client want to go upgrade to latest version(R81.20) for both SMS and Security Gateways because current versions are going to expire in next 2 months. 

I placed my client current versions below:

Appliance                   Current Version                          Upgrade Version

1.Security Management Server (or) Console                     open server                -  R80.40                                      81.10.X  or 81.20.X

2.Quantum Spark 1600  Security Gateway(Cluster)           1600                           -  R80.20.50                                 81.10.X  or  81.20.X  

3.Enterprise 5200 Security Gateway(Cluster)                     5200                           -  R80.40                                      81.10.X  or  81.20.X 

Please share the Supported Upgradation Path document for both Security Management Server and Security Gateways.   

Thank You.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Personally, I always do zero downtime upgrade, which is replaced these days with MVC (multi version cluster). In short, I would upgrade mgmt first to R81.20 (whatever recommended jumbo is now, I think 41), then after reboot, follow below process for the clusters.

Andy

https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/R81.10/WebAdminGuides/EN/CP_R81.10_Installation_and_Upgrade_Gui...

This part, SUPER important you follow the steps how they are outlined.

Screenshot_1.png

genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

Manager first for sure, and I would also suggest clean build to take advantage of XFS filesystems, also keep in mind I believe there is a kernel version change, and I've seen issue with this in the past, so suggest clean build on the GWs, however MVC will ensure you have service.

Lates JHFA is Take 45 which I suspect will go to GA soon.

the_rock
Legend
Legend

I know people who prefer back up the config, then do clean innstall, then do restore. Thats fine too, no issues with that.

Andy

0 Kudos
genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

I generally do backup and then an export of the manager,  GW's really just take a copy of the GAIA config and an custom edits if there are any.

the_rock
Legend
Legend

I would say one thing to pay attention to is if you have custom modified files, such as table.def or user.def, as that may not work with the upgrade from R80.40 to R81.10 or R81.20

Andy

0 Kudos
genisis__
Leader Leader
Leader

100%!

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I think its fine say from R81 upgrading to later codes, but before R81, it was an issue.

Andy

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events