Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moudar
Advisor
Jump to solution

Snapshot

Hi,

I have created a snapshot on 6500 GUI and want to move it somewhere outside the 6500.

I have used this command in an attempt to copy it to an FTP server:

set snapshot-onetime export 20230721 target ftp path E:Checkpoint-snapshot/ ip 10.32.0.166 username moudar password ***

What I know is that the digits are allowed as a snapshot name, but every time I try that command I get this message:

NMSNAP9999  Snapshot name may only contain digits, letters and underscores. Maximum 255 characters

Any Ideas how to fix this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dov_Fraivert
Employee
Employee

Hi @Moudar 

Snapshot on the machine is a partition.
In order to export it out, we turn it into a file file that is temporarily saved in /var/log/.
For this a free space in /var/log/ is required.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Remove the drive colon e.g.

/E/Checkpoint-snapshot/

Though the exact path will depend on your FTP server type & config.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
Moudar
Advisor

Now I am getting this:

set snapshot-onetime export 20230721 target ftp path /E/Checkpoint-snapshot/ ip 10.32.0.166 username moudar password ***
NMSNAP9999  Cannot export snapshot, insufficient space in /var/log/. Space required: 46.94GB

I don't understand why should /var/log/ have enough space if the file needs to be sent out?!

ch1.JPG

ch2.JPG

What options do I have to make this file transfer ?

0 Kudos
Dov_Fraivert
Employee
Employee

Hi @Moudar 

Snapshot on the machine is a partition.
In order to export it out, we turn it into a file file that is temporarily saved in /var/log/.
For this a free space in /var/log/ is required.

Moudar
Advisor

How to make /var/log/ bigger?

Adding new disk to 6500?

0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

There isn't a great way to. It's almost always better to clear space in the volume rather than expanding the volume.

What are you actually trying to accomplish? People don't really take snapshots just to take a snapshot. There's always some underlying goal, which there may be a better way to accomplish.

0 Kudos
Moudar
Advisor

My concern is a hardware failure! you will not be able to use the snapshot to recover from hardware failures. Our 6500 is about 4-5 years old, and even if there is active-standby solution, having a snapshot exported to network storage is better than snapshots created locally.

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

You do not need a snapshot for a hardware replacement. Please use backup instead. It is much more economical wiht the HDD space, and it can be natively configured as a scheduled backup on an external server.

0 Kudos
Don_Paterson
Advisor
Advisor

Did you try the Export button?

It will use pigz, dd and tar and generate a multi GB tar file (stored in /var/log/download/) and then you can click the Download button and the browser will download the .tar file to your PC.

The log generated during that task is /var/log/CPsnapshot/<snapshots-name+date+time>.log

The .tar file, stored in /var/log/download/, stays there so that you can download the file again but you may want to delete it from the appliance disk after you have downloaded it.

After deleting it the Download button is not available and you have to Start Export again to generate the .tar file again. 

Just for reference:

https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/R81.20/WebAdminGuides/EN/CP_R81.20_Gaia_AdminGuide/Content/Topi... 

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events