Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vikupoi_123
Participant
Jump to solution

Running the tcpdump on warp interface in VSX Gateway

Hi ,

If i will run the tcpdump in warp interface (which is source interface ) will i get the echo request and echo reply (Generating ping packet) ? 

For example if source server a.b.c.d routing  through  wrp220 interface  and destination : e.f.g.h is directly connected showing through eth3-03 interface and if i run tcpdump in VS5 as below 

tcpdump -i wrp220 -nn host a.b.c.d and host e.f.g.h . Should i get the echo request and echo reply both the packet with this command ? 

Or 

if i run this command through "any" interface then it will show as below 

tcpdump -i any  -nn host a.b.c.d and host e.f.g.h.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

Indeed the best bet prior USFW is to use physical interfaces instead of wrp - you either will get nothing or one way traffic only.

But USFW version seems to work also on wrp links

View solution in original post

4 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
Not sure if this is still true, but in the past, you would get unexpected behavior when tcpdumping the warp interface.
Best to do the relevant physical interface instead.
0 Kudos
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

Indeed the best bet prior USFW is to use physical interfaces instead of wrp - you either will get nothing or one way traffic only.

But USFW version seems to work also on wrp links

vikupoi_123
Participant
Hi Kaspers ,

Thank you after applying the wrp interface i am getting only echo reply not echo request .
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

This is a known issue with trying to use tcpdump/cppcap on a Wrp interface, use fw monitor instead:

sk167462: Tcpdump / CPpcap do not show incoming packets on Virtual Switch's Wrp interface

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events