cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JayM1
Explorer

R81 Upgrade

Hi All,

Looking to upgrade SMS and Gateways currently running R81 to R81.20. The SMS is also used by endpoint clients to get policies and AV updates.

1.  Upgrading SMS existing server via CPUSE after verification is clear is there any other checks that need to be made ? How long does install take ?  

2. I will snapshot server but any backups I still may need to take and which ones ?  

3. Will R81 Gateways and endpoints continue to work and SIC remain established once SMS is running R81.20 ?   

4.  Upgrade of the Firewall Gateways themselves via CPUSE what back ups do I need as these are appliances.  How long does upgrade take ?  Is there a quick recovery process ?

5.  Upgrade of SMART-1 252 Log Server which is a physical appliance.  Whats the best way to backup this system and restore from it should upgrade fail?

6.  Whats the recommended disk space rquired for upgrade for SMS , Gateway and Log server ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AkosBakos
Advisor

1.  Upgrading SMS existing server via CPUSE after verification is clear is there any other checks that need to be made ? How long does install take ?  

Always check the /var/log/messages

How long?: depends on the quantity of cores, the size etc. at least 60 minutes to appr 4 hours.

2. I will snapshot server but any backups I still may need to take and which ones ?  

Always do neccesary + 1 backups. I do the followings (yes all the 4):

• CP snapshot
  • System backup
  • save configuration
  • migrate_export

3. Will R81 Gateways and endpoints continue to work and SIC remain established once SMS is running R81.20 ?   

• Of course, SIC won't change

4.  Upgrade of the Firewall Gateways themselves via CPUSE what back ups do I need as these are appliances.  How long does upgrade take ?  Is there a quick recovery process ?

• CP snapshot
  • System backup
  • save configuration

The quickest recovery is revert from snapshot 

How long? 30 mintues to 90 minutes

5.  Upgrade of SMART-1 252 Log Server which is a physical appliance.  Whats the best way to backup this system and restore from it should upgrade fail?

• CP snapshot
  • System backup
  • save configuration

The quickest recovery is revert from snapshot 

6.  Whats the recommended disk space rquired for upgrade for SMS , Gateway and Log server ?

At least the root partition. Run "verify" and  it will checj the requirements

Akos

----------------
\m/_(>_<)_\m/
0 Kudos
JayM1
Explorer

Thank you for response not familiar with CP snapshot how much space does that take up on gateway if I dont have external drive ?    
Is this the preferred recovery method?   

Is it easy to upgrade firewall in a cluster?  

0 Kudos
Tal_Paz-Fridman
Employee
Employee

Always follow the recommendations and instructions in R81.20 Installation and Upgrade Guide

https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/R81.20/WebAdminGuides/EN/CP_R81.20_Installation_and_Upgrade_Gui...

It includes a section about backing up:

https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/R81.20/WebAdminGuides/EN/CP_R81.20_Installation_and_Upgrade_Gui...

The machine snapshot can be applied from CLI or from Gaia Portal

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events