cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andrew_Tindall
Participant
Jump to solution

Interface order on VMWare

I'm having a issue with building a pair of HA gateways (81.10) for a test lab on VMWare 7.  This environment only breaks out to the wider network via it's 'outside' interface with all of the other networks and interfaces existing solely within VMWare and not breaking out to any physical switches.  

When building the Gateways with multiple interfaces the order for the vmnic and ethx do not match up.

This seems some what random as one GW build will have the first 3 interfaces in order before seeing issues and the second will have issues from eth0/vmnic1 onwards.

I have seen sk69621 for re-naming the interfaces, but the issue is in identifying the 'incorrect' order in the first place. I've seen a couple of posts that reference this SK but non that seem to have the solution to identifying the order of the interfaces.

Of course the irony of all of this is that the test lab is there to enable us to test upgrades to the firewalls for any issues before rolling out to production, which are appliances so don't suffer from this issue.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Andrew_Tindall
Participant

Ok not the quickest solution but here goes.

Initial build is with a Gateway install with two interfaces, one of which must be reachable by a device with a web browser for the first-time setup to be completed.

Once completed SSH into the device (or use the VMware console) and run the following command from expert mode:

See Checkpoint sk69621 for more detail.

[Expert@FW-B:0]# cat /etc/udev/rules.d/00-OS-XXrules

ID=="0000:0b:00.0", NAME="eth0"        

ID=="0000:13:00.0", NAME="eth1"        

This shows the currently assigned interface names and their associated PCI BUS ID’s.

We can now add the additional interfaces via VMWare, been careful to only have “Network adapter 1” connected to the device.

Now reboot the Gateway VM.

Log back into the Gateways Gaia interface and enable all of the newly created interfaces.

Now we need to enable the interfaces one at a time in VMWare to match them up against the Gateway interface showing up. Make a note of which Network adapter on VMware causes which ethx port on the Gateway to come up. You can do this either in Gaia or using the ethtool command.

Repeat the above steps for the remaining VMWare network adapters, at the end should have a table that looks something like this.

VMWare

Checkpoint Gateway

Network adapter  1

eth0

Network adapter  2

eth1

Network adapter  3

eth8

Network adapter  4

eth2

Network adapter  5

eth4

Network adapter  6

eth6

Network adapter  7

eth9

Network adapter  8

eth3

Network adapter  9

eth5

Network adapter  10

eth7

Now we need to ssh (VMWare console) back into the Gateway and edit the file we looked at earlier.

Before editing the the file looks like this.

ID=="0000:04:00.0", NAME="eth2"

ID=="0000:05:00.0", NAME="eth3"

ID=="0000:0c:00.0", NAME="eth4"

ID=="0000:0d:00.0", NAME="eth5"

ID=="0000:14:00.0", NAME="eth6"

ID=="0000:15:00.0", NAME="eth7"

ID=="0000:1b:00.0", NAME="eth8"

ID=="0000:1c:00.0", NAME="eth9"

Once we have finished editing it.

ID=="0000:04:00.0", NAME="eth3"
ID=="0000:05:00.0", NAME="eth7"
ID=="0000:0d:00.0", NAME="eth8"
ID=="0000:14:00.0", NAME="eth5"
ID=="0000:15:00.0", NAME="eth9"
ID=="0000:1b:00.0", NAME="eth2"
ID=="0000:1c:00.0", NAME="eth6"

Now save the file and reboot the gateway.

For a final check once it has rebooted you can disconnect the interfaces one at a time in VMware and watch the state of the interface change via the Gaia web interface.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Timothy_Hall
Legend Legend
Legend

Yeah good luck with that, I've been setting up VMWare training environments for 20 years and still get burned by an unexpected mapping of interface name to NIC adapter in VMWare Workstation occasionally.  On a real server the assignment of interface names to physical cards seems to be based on the ordering/architecture of the system bus, but in VMWare it seems to be ordered by the hardware path/ID which is usually predictable but not always.  The best command I've found to look at the mapping is lshw -short -class network like this from expert mode:

Expert@gw-5ad2f3:0]# lshw -short -class network
H/W path Device Class Description
=====================================================
/0/100/15/0    eth0 network VMXNET3 Ethernet Controller
/0/100/15.1/0 eth1 network VMXNET3 Ethernet Controller
/0/100/16/0    eth2 network VMXNET3 Ethernet Controller
/0/100/17/0    eth3 network VMXNET3 Ethernet Controller
/0/100/18/0    eth4 network VMXNET3 Ethernet Controller
/2 gretap0 network Ethernet interface
[Expert@gw-5ad2f3:0]# 

Hopefully this helps.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
Andrew_Tindall
Participant

Thanks for the reply, I actually figured out a solution (work around) when driving between offices shortly after I posted this.

I'm just in the process of writing it up for our internal wiki/knowledgebase. Once I've got it in some semblance of order and spellchecked I'll post it to this thread.

I'm sure someone else will come across the same  issue at some point, and it may save them a bit of head scratching.

the_rock
Legend
Legend

As soon as I read your post, it reminded me while back when I was in Maldives and I heard this dude on the beach talking to someone on his cell phone about this EXACT issue, so I introduced myself after he was done, told him I worked in IT and he actually ended up emailing me the process, worked fine few times, but when I tried it year later, it did not.

I would be interested to see the steps you share here.

Best,

Andy

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Legend Legend
Legend

For a physical interface you can use the -p option to ethtool to constantly blink the LEDs on a certain interface name and then visually identify the physical card it corresponds to.  Obviously that doesn't work in VMWare, so in that case I would uncheck the "Connected" checkbox for a particular defined interface in VMWare, then from Gaia run ethtool on all interfaces to see which single named interface in Gaia was reporting Link Down, and then note the mapping.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
0 Kudos
Andrew_Tindall
Participant

Ok not the quickest solution but here goes.

Initial build is with a Gateway install with two interfaces, one of which must be reachable by a device with a web browser for the first-time setup to be completed.

Once completed SSH into the device (or use the VMware console) and run the following command from expert mode:

See Checkpoint sk69621 for more detail.

[Expert@FW-B:0]# cat /etc/udev/rules.d/00-OS-XXrules

This shows the currently assigned interface names and their associated PCI BUS ID’s.

We can now add the additional interfaces via VMWare, been careful to only have “Network adapter 1” connected to the device.

Now reboot the Gateway VM.

Log back into the Gateways Gaia interface and enable all of the newly created interfaces.

Now we need to enable the interfaces one at a time in VMWare to match them up against the Gateway interface showing up. Make a note of which Network adapter on VMware causes which ethx port on the Gateway to come up. You can do this either in Gaia or using the ethtool command.

Repeat the above steps for the remaining VMWare network adapters, at the end should have a table that looks something like this.

VMWare

Checkpoint Gateway

Network adapter  1

eth0

Network adapter  2

eth1

Network adapter  3

eth8

Network adapter  4

eth2

Network adapter  5

eth4

Network adapter  6

eth6

Network adapter  7

eth9

Network adapter  8

eth3

Network adapter  9

eth5

Network adapter  10

eth7

Now we need to ssh (VMWare console) back into the Gateway and edit the file we looked at earlier.

Before editing the the file looks like this.

ID=="0000:04:00.0", NAME="eth2"

ID=="0000:05:00.0", NAME="eth3"

ID=="0000:0d:00.0", NAME="eth5"

ID=="0000:14:00.0", NAME="eth6"

ID=="0000:15:00.0", NAME="eth7"

ID=="0000:1b:00.0", NAME="eth8"

ID=="0000:1c:00.0", NAME="eth9"

Once we have finished editing it.

ID=="0000:04:00.0", NAME="eth3"
ID=="0000:05:00.0", NAME="eth7"
ID=="0000:0d:00.0", NAME="eth8"
ID=="0000:14:00.0", NAME="eth5"
ID=="0000:15:00.0", NAME="eth9"
ID=="0000:1b:00.0", NAME="eth2"
ID=="0000:1c:00.0", NAME="eth6"

Now save the file and reboot the gateway.

For a final check once it has rebooted you can disconnect the interfaces one at a time in VMware and watch the state of the interface change via the Gaia web interface.

the_rock
Legend
Legend

Thank you, that definitely rings a bell.

Andy

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events