cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Luis_Miguel_Mig
Advisor
Jump to solution

IPS Core Protections

IPS core protections are installed via the access policy. However, even though you don't need a threat prevention and or IPS license, you need to activate the IPS blade, correct?

0 Kudos
45 Replies
Luis_Miguel_Mig
Advisor

The trial license got installed automatically by the system in the background.  I didn't do anything. 
I tried again with IPS blade disabled and I don't get any   IPS CORE PROTECTION ALERT.

So I will enable the IPS blade again and I will see what happen when the license expires. If I knew how I would actually remove the trial license now to see what happens

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Let us know the outcome.

0 Kudos
Luis_Miguel_Mig
Advisor

My conclusion is:

1) without the IPS blade on, I don't get the IPS Core protection. I don't get for example portscan alerts. And the portscan alerts actually come with the IPS blade tag.
2) I need the threat prevention layer activated in the policy  assigned  to the gateway, because otherwise the IPS process is off.
3) The system automatically install a trial IPS license.

The IPS core protections work with all that but what will it happen when the trial license expires?
Following https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/General-Topics/Delete-trial-license/td-p/56751
I have tried to remove the trail license using both cplic eval_disable and $CPDIR/bin/cpprod_util CPPROD_SetPnPDisable 1 but the license is still installed according the output of cplic print -x .

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

To remove trial, you have to do this, its called plug and play and its below.

Andy

$CPDIR/conf/cp.pnp

https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/General-Topics/Delete-trial-license/td-p/56751

0 Kudos
Luis_Miguel_Mig
Advisor

And is my expectation correct? Will IPS core protections (with just the FW license) keep working after removing the trial license? 🙂

the_rock
Legend
Legend

Im fairly sure yes. It did for me back in R81 base.

Andy

0 Kudos
Luis_Miguel_Mig
Advisor

Excellent. Thanks Andy.

And where you aware of the trial license then and you just let it expired or sth like that?

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

No worries mate, glad we can help. Yes, I deleted that license with command I gave in the last post.

Andy

0 Kudos
Luis_Miguel_Mig
Advisor

I have deleted  $CPDIR/conf/cp.pnp and  rebooted and IPS Core protections still work, I can see alerts.
I can see that the trial license is not installed but I am getting this error. I guess the IPS process still trying to get the trial license
cplic print -x
GetLicFromFile: Failed to open file: /opt/CPshrd-R80.40/conf/cp.pnp
pnp_blades_iterate: Failed to find a match to PNP_BLADE_IPS-V1 in PnP file: /opt/CPshrd-R80.40/conf/cp.pnp
Host Expiration Signature Features
ip never jjjj CPSG-C-4-U CPSB-FW CPSB-ADNC CK-D188343B5EF5

0 Kudos
Luis_Miguel_Mig
Advisor

After removing cp.pnp smartconsole doesn't look pretty. The gateway is red because contract has expired.
See screenshot attached.

Is there any way to tweak smartconsole gateway checks/status behavior? I would like the gateway not to go red because of the IPS license that is not required to run the IPS core protections.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Thats easy to fix. Apply eval license, wait 10-15 mins, if status goes to yellow, follow what I did below.

Andy

https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/Management/License-warning-messages/m-p/169625#M33614

0 Kudos
Luis_Miguel_Mig
Advisor

If I apply eval license  the gateway status will go green but only until the eval licenses expires again, no? So then I will be in the same position with the IPS core protections working but with the gateway status in smartconsole in red due to the eval license expiration, no?

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Believe you are correct here.
Most likely this would require a code fix, which likely won't occur on an EOL version.

the_rock
Legend
Legend

That sounds right, but again, as Phoneboy said, it woukd not be fixed on unsupported code. I would upgrade to R81.20 if you can.

0 Kudos
Luis_Miguel_Mig
Advisor

Absolutely, we are upgrading to r81.20 very soon. 
One question, I am curious if you don't need the ips blade for IPS core protections, how are these alerts tagged in R81.20.
For example, do you filter port scan alerts/logs with blade:Firewall or blade:ips ?
I expect that these alerts will be full firewall blade in r81.20, so blade:Firewall.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Thats right.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events