cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Franktum
Contributor

Disk space for upgrading to R81.10

Hi all,

We got a VSX cluster with 2 16200 nodes in R80.40. We are planning to upgrade them to R81.10. In Release Notes you can read it needs at least 20 GB free in root partition for the upgrade to success.

Both nodes have only 17 GB free and we didn't found out how to free more space. If we launch lvm_manager command we see that upgrade partition has 36 GB free.

With those data, do you think if the upgrade will go ok?

Thanks in adavanced

Regards

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Tal_Paz-Fridman
Employee
Employee

@Boaz_Orshav will the DA check and validate if there is enough free disk space?

0 Kudos
Boaz_Orshav
Employee
Employee

Yes. The Deployment Agent will validate disk space before starting to actually upgrading the machine

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I dont know if you can confirm this @Boaz_Orshav , but TAC told me before space DA validates for upgrade is MINIMUM required, not recommended. Any idea if thats indeed the case?

Hope you are safe.

Regards,

Andy

0 Kudos
Boaz_Orshav
Employee
Employee

Actually the DA has two different disk space validations. 

First is a set of dynamic deployment rules that the DA runs in which it checks things defined by release management or specific owners and for each version such rules can be different.

Second check is that from DA perspective the upgrade itself is going to succeed. For example - it has enough unpartitioned disk space to create a new partition, it has enough space under /var/log to extract the package etc.

Indeed if something is recommended only by documentation and not implemented on a rule - the DA will not enforce it

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

So if Im understanding what you wrote, in my mind, sounds like what TAC told me is indeed true, that it counts minimum required and not recommended space...

Andy

0 Kudos
Franktum
Contributor

Hi,

Sorry but I'am sure then whether DA will abort the upgrade as it'll detect only 17 GB are free in root partition.

Regards

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I dont think so...I had done it in my lab many times with 7 GB free and worked fine. I would never recommend that to any customer, but it does work.

Andy

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I would say yes. I usually try to have 20 or more GBs free in root and 30+ in /var/log, but I had seen people do upgrade even with 10 GB or so available in root dir. You could technically boot into maintenance mode, run lvm_manager and see if it lets you extend / partition.

That requires a window outside normal business hours, as the device has to be rebooted.

Regards,

Andy

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events