cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quatloo
Explorer

Data and Management Plane separation on 6200P NGTX standalone appliance

Hello,

I am deploying a 6200P NGTX standalone appliance (management + gateway, no HA). Does anyone know if this supports the Management Data Plane Separation configuration that is outlined in sk138672?

I have a ticket with support regarding this question but they haven't been able to provide an answer.

I deployed the appliance and enabled the configuration but I was unable to connect via Smart Console (the web interface and SSH access worked as expected). The management plane task list didn't show the fwm and cpm/java TCP ports 18190 and 19009, which didn't seem right.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

MDPS is meant to be configured on a gateway talking to a management server on a different system.
This is why processes that are obviously only on a management server (specifically cpm and fwm) are not part of MDPS.
Whether they can be included is, perhaps, a separate question.

0 Kudos
quatloo
Explorer

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, that makes sense.  I think I have strayed from a typical deployment scenario which is why tech support can't say whether it is a supported configuration.  In any case, the take home message is to refrain from enabling MDPS if you are running a stand-alone appliance as it will break the ability to manage the system with Smart Console (at least in my hands).

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

There's certainly no clear statement saying it is or it isn't, thus why TAC can't say for certain.
However, based on what things the feature enables by default, I feel pretty confident in saying a standalone gateway was not the intended use case for MDPS.

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events