cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sreekanthvijay
Explorer

DHCP relay setting

Hi Team ,

Can any one help me to understand how the DHCP relay works in check point if we have multiple relay servers configured under the same interface ?

Please see the attachment as you see there are two relay servers mapped on interface eth1.50 . When the client broad cast DHCP request does the firewall forward the request to both the servers or it send request based on server order mapped on the list ? If yes what is the default wait time for sending the request to the second server on the list ?

And what is the max hop and Time wait option in the setting used ?

DHCP relay.jpg

0 Kudos
3 Replies
_Val_
Admin
Admin

From sk104114:

• Multiple IPv4 addresses can be provided. Each DHCP Request from DHCP client will be forwarded to all relay destinations listed. Multiple destinations can be useful for load balancing, redundancy, or to allow different DHCP Servers to handle different portions of the configuration information for a DHCP client.
  • The list of relay destinations can be different for each interface
sreekanthvijay
Explorer

Thanks for the response .I have gone through the SK and im bit confused about the below .

For example if i have set my time wait to 30 sec and i have two relay server configured on the same interfaces , in that case the firewall will send the dhcp request to the first server and wait for 30 sec and if not get the response back it will send the request to the second server ?

Also , im bit confused about the hop counts , in our case we have chosen the default hop count of 4 , and we have one local DHCP server at location and standby DHCP server is at remote location . And when we trace the remote location DHCP server from the location then it takes around 15-18 hops to reach the destination so if our primary DHCP server is down ( Local DHCP server ) , the secondary DHCP server will not be works because of the hop count limit setting ? 

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

What is confusing here? It clearly says: "Each DHCP Request from DHCP client will be forwarded to all relay destinations listed."

Any you answered your own questions about the hops.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events