Did you mean: 
minhhaivietnam
Collaborator
Jump to solution

Block file sharing over skype

Hi friends,

I have a checkpoint R80.10 like this: 

User PC------>Firewall--------->internet

My requirement is Allow user to use skype but prevent them from sharing file over it.

My question is what blade can I enable for this purpose, and what step to configure after enable blade

Thanks a lot!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
Skype traffic is encrypted, so it's not possible to see exactly what is being transmitted.
You could potentially use a "Limit" action to restrict the bandwidth to make file sharing impractical, but that will also impact calls/video conferencing.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
Skype traffic is encrypted, so it's not possible to see exactly what is being transmitted.
You could potentially use a "Limit" action to restrict the bandwidth to make file sharing impractical, but that will also impact calls/video conferencing.
0 Kudos
minhhaivietnam
Collaborator

Thank phone_boy,

My boss want to prevent file transfering over skype while allowing chat only. I will convince him do it on Windows.

Tks!

0 Kudos
HristoGrigorov

Skype and Skype for Business are two different services. For Skype you can also use GPO to deactivate file sharing if you have the possibility. 

0 Kudos
Ryan_Ryan
Advisor

In my application control blade I have the following 3 applications available:

Skype For Business (Lync)

Skype For Business (Lync) - sharing

Skype For Business (Lync) - voice and video

So you could try and put a block rule against the sharing one, as the other poster said you may also need https inspection enabled to be able to detect the applications correctly. Easiest way is to check the logs and see if its showing the application name. 

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin
Skype does not support HTTPS Inspection because it uses Certificate Pinning.
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events