cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kenny_NL
Participant

Creating a backup on a device with R81.10.07

Hi guys,

For backup-purposes, I intended to make a script that would use cprid_util to make backups of my 1500-devices from the management server, retrieve these from the devices and store them on the management-server. According to the CLI guide, to make the backup, use the command:

backup settings to {usb | tftp server <server> | sftp server <server> | scp <server> | flash } [filename <filename>] [file-encryption {off|on password <password>}] [backup-policy {on|off}] [add-comment "comment"] [username <username>] [password <password>]

I found out about this feature after the first device was upgraded from R80.20.50 to R81.10.05 and tested this with that device. Now that all devices are upgraded and are running R81.10.07, it seems the flash option (and scp)  has been removed? The only options currently are USB, TFTP and SFTP:

HOSTNAME> fw ver
This is Check Point's 1550 Appliance R81.10.07 - Build 457

HOSTNAME> backup settings to
usb - Save the backup file on a USB device
tftp - Send the backup file to a TFTP server
sftp - Send the backup file to an SFTP server
HOSTNAME> backup settings to flash
^
Bad parameter starting at 'flash'

Is there a reason that this has been removed? It is still in the documentation.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Lesley
Advisor

scp and flash are for period backups

https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/SMB_R81.10.X/CLI/EN/Content/Topics/backup-settings.htm

-------
If you like this post please give a thumbs up(kudo)! 🙂
0 Kudos
Kenny_NL
Participant

True, that is what the doc states, but the command itself (at backup settings (TFTP, SFTP, USB) does not. And I know for sure that I have made a backup from a 1500 with R81.10.05 an earlier release to flash and retrieved it with cprid_util getfile.

The same text is in the CLI-guide for R80.20.50 by the way, so I might be referring to R80.20.50 as the earlier release.

0 Kudos
Kenny_NL
Participant

It has been 2 weeks since this thread was active, but I have access to a device that is (still) running R80.20.50 and I could not help myself to check if my statement about backup with clish to flash was correct. Well, it appears it is:

HOSTNAME> fw ver
This is Check Point's 1550 Appliance R80.20.50 - Build 773
HOSTNAME> backup settings to
usb - Save the backup file on a USB device
flash - Save the backup file on the gateway device
tftp - Send the backup file to a TFTP server
sftp - Send the backup file to an SFTP server
scp - Send the backup file to an SCP server
HOSTNAME> backup settings to flash
Creating backup...
Saving HOSTNAME_R80.20.50_992002773_2024-Mar-02-09_41_49.zip to the device
Upload complete
Your settings have been successfully backed up and saved on your gateway device
HOSTNAME>

So apparently this was the only version that had this option and why was this removed from later releases?

In the end, I did find another method of making the backup on the CLI, but this flash-option is by far the easier road.

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events