Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marc_Cantor
Explorer

Capsule VPN fails to register hostname

We have a requirement for all vpn client devices to be managed using their hostname from the internal network whenever they are connected remotely. This works well when using the CP IPsec client but hostname registration does not work when using Capsule for Windows 10. 

We configured the DNS suffixes in the 'Gateway Properties > VPN Clients > Office Mode > Optional Parameters'. We also configured the hosts Capsule adapter, Advanced TCP/Ip settings with "register this connections address with DNS". We found another post that suggested a registry entry is required for DNS registration and "Always On VPN" must be enabled. 

I understand Capsule is just a plug in for Windows 10 but trying to isolate this issue as being a Windows or CP problem. Running R80.40 and the latest Windows 10 version. 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

My inclination is this is a Windows issue.
Do you see with, say, an fw monitor, the relevant DNS packets coming from the client to register?

0 Kudos
Marc_Cantor
Explorer

Ran a tcpdump -s 0 -nni ethX port 67 -w dhcp.cap when connecting with the CP IPsec client, Under DHCP discover I found option 12 to include the endpoint hostname. When I ran a tcpdump with Capsule, option 12 was missing. 

Would like to mention that under the advanced configuration / SecureRemote/SecureClient IKE/IPSec Settings the "om_extended_dhcp_params is selected. 

I'm beginning to feel this hostname registration issue may be a limitation with Capsule for Windows 10. 

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

May be worth a TAC case, but I suspect it is a limitation with Windows 10.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I recall once that this was the solution...but, cant say 100% it would work for you, but worth a try. Also, IF you have ISP redundancy, make sure site is not resolving to 2nd ISP link, because if so, thats when people will have this problem, guaranteed.

https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events