Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alexander_Wilke
Advisor

Skyline - interface_rate "TOTAL" includes "BPEthX" interfaces which results in doubled throughput

Hello,
I am running R81.10, JumboHFA Take 150 and these skyline components.

CPotelco: T129

CPviewExporter: T40

OtlpAgent: T49

In the following screenshot you can see that a Scalable Plattform Chassis 64000 environment has the "BPEth0" and "BPEth1" Interfaces listed. The Maestro do NOT have these listed in the metrics.

For Maestro and ClusterXL gateways the "TOTAL" interfaces works correctly. For the 64k environments the TOTAL rate contains the BPEthX interfaces which results in 2x the real TOTAL throughput.

From my understanding the "TOTAL" should contain the total throughput of the Firewall but not include the Backplane interfaces which handle the same traffic again.

@Elad_Chomsky Can you clarify if this is intended and expected behaviour that 64k shows wrong/double TOTAL values?

system_network_interface_io_receive_rate_TOTAL_includes_BPEthX.png

0 Kudos
2 Replies
David_Evans
Contributor

I agree this should be consistent for the backplane  interfaces across the platforms, however, there are a lot of ways the "total" throughput has issues.

We have firewalls with;

bonded interfaces

bonded interfaces with VLAN's

individual interfaces with no VLAN's

and individual interfaces with VLANS. 

All of those can result in doubling or tripling of the "Total" throughput as the data is counted on the physical interface, the bond and the VLAN.    Some firewalls we have a mix of these interfaces on the same device.

So until some intelligence is built into the math of the total's, which is possible to do, the total is not a super helpful item to look at.

Right now I've just taken to looking at a stacked graph of all the throughput of all the interfaces and I turn off manually anything that is doubled if I really want to know what is going on.   If someone comes up with a good "IF" statement to make the total throughput better, let me know.

0 Kudos
Alexander_Wilke
Advisor

Hello @David_Evans 
I can NOT confirm that the TOTAL metric has issues if we have physical, bond, vlan interfaces.

As an example on a 16200 ClusterXL appliance we had a TOTAL throughput of 25.5Gbit/s RX.
At the same time I had a look and bond7 (24.6 Gbit/s) and bond1 (1.44 Gbit/s).

TOTAL was 25.5 and sum of bond7 and bond1 is 26 Gbit/s. This means the throughput for TOTAL looks correct and TOTAL is NOT adding the throughput of bond and bond.vlan etc.

At the same time I think it works correctly for Maetsro environments because these do not have th backplane interfaces.

I think the issue is only with the 64k environment.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events