cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

Forced password reset?

I tried to log in to the forum earlier and was told my password had expired and needed to be reset. I don't think I've ever seen that before. The only sane reason I know of to force users to reset passwords is a suspected breach of an authentication database. NIST SP 800-63B 5.1.1.2: "Verifiers SHOULD NOT require memorized secrets to be changed arbitrarily (e.g., periodically). However, verifiers SHALL force a change if there is evidence of compromise of the authenticator."

I use a randomly-generated password for my User Center account, not shared with anything else, and I don't see it in HaveIBeenPwned, so why the forced reset?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
_Val_
Admin
Admin

We are not aware of any forced reset. Passwords in UserCenter have validity for one year, AFAIK. Also, make sure you are using 2FA.

0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

I have a couple of accounts, with one coming up on ten years old. I don't think I've ever had to reset its password. Definitely not since 2015. Very odd.

0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

I just got a forced reset again. One of my other accounts passed the decade mark, and it's still using the same password.

I'll see what I can find out from Account Services.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The CheckMates team doesn't have visibility into UserCenter accounts beyond the minimum information required to associate it with a community account.
That includes things like password resets.
Account Services would have to be consulted. 

0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

Just got it again.

Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 08.45.10.png

Passwords are not milk. They do not expire. The fact this is still behaving this way is ridiculous.

I've talked with Account Services. They had no idea what I was talking about and said they have no control over any password expiration. My other User Center accounts still have never had to reset their passwords.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

I'm checking, but I suspect it occurs only with "non-business" emails (Gmail and similar). 

0 Kudos
Upcoming Events

Tue 23 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (EDT)

East US: What's New in R82

Thu 25 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)

APAC: CPX 2024 Recap

Tue 30 Apr 2024 @ 03:00 PM (CDT)

EMEA: CPX 2024 Recap

Thu 02 May 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)

APAC: What's new in R82

Tue 23 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (EDT)

East US: What's New in R82