cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

Trusted CA updates

We have started evaluating "HTTPS lite" option as our legacy explicit proxy solution replacement and I stumbled across a challenge of flaky Trusted CA updates process. 

I'm referring to these two SKs:

sk64521 - How to enable and install update of Trusted CA list for HTTPS Inspection and Categorizatio... 

sk132812 - How to force an update to the HTTPS Trusted Root CA list 

I have couple of questions.

Q1: where I could find info about latest available Trusted CA update? When it was released and the version itself. By some reverse engineering of two SKs above I can see that our management thinks that the latest version is 2.7 released 1st Dec 2020:

image.png

I'm not entirely sure if indeed it is the latest version as bunch of trusted Microsoft CAs are missing.

Q2: how can we interpret update status codes? "3" does not sound good to me as normally "0" or "1" would be success:

image.png

Q3: could Checkpoint publish "offline" version of updateFile.zip file in an SK for manual download in case automated way does not work. I.e. - we did not get any notification that there was a new version available until I manually fetched updateFile.zip file from management and loaded it manually using SmartDashboard

Q4: Bunch of well known CAs are still missing, see MS example below where we had to add them manually:

image.png

Just wondering if it would be smart to create some sort of collaboration so we as customers could provide feedback on "missing" CA so they get incorporated into official bundles faster? I just want to avoid constant manual chasing of trusted CAs from logs when sites cannot be categorised because root CA is not known to Checkpoint

Any other thoughts and suggestions are welcome if you have found a better way! I.e. using CCADB 

25 Replies
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Q1 - In SmartDashboard, under HTTPSi, in advanced, you should see if a new update is available.

Q2 - AFAIK, the codes are not about mistakes. If you suspect that you did not get the lates update, please check with TAC

Q3 & Q4 - Best to take with TAC.

Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

Q1 - that's the problem Val - SmartDashboard did not show that 🙂 Even though it was downloaded and available on the disk after digging into it with CLI. Hence my rant about "flaky-ness" 

image.png

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Then you most probably installed the lates one already. Once again, please take it with TAC

0 Kudos
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

NP, will take up with our SE. Just wondered if there was a general knowledge out there about the topic 🙂

Tobias_Moritz
Advisor

We have the same problem and our partner told us they never saw this working for any of their customers.

We opened a TAC case and the outcome (from T3) was:

"I have consulted with our colleagues at R&D, they have informed that they are aware of this issue and are currently working on a fix. Once it is completed it will then be integrated in the Main Jumbo."

That was mid of March. Not seen something related on Jumbo Release Notes yet, so I guess its still unfixed.

Omer_Ran
Employee
Employee

Hi,

I'm the developer that prepared the fix.

I'd like to verify that the problem you see is indeed the one I've fixed.

Can you please specify the exact version/build of SmartConsole (from SmartConsole's "About") dialog?

Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

Here we go:

image.png

0 Kudos
schvetz
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

Hello

Do you use portable mode or did you installed the Smart Console?

0 Kudos
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

BTW, could you confirm that ver 2.7 is the latest for Trusted CAs? 🙂

0 Kudos
schvetz
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

Yes, it is

Omer_Ran
Employee
Employee

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with that aspect of the feature.

I'll try to get feature owner to answer.

0 Kudos
Marcel_Gramalla
Advisor

A few of the CAs are missing on my system as well but not all of them. The Azure CAs are missing for example. In the path I also see version 2.7 on my system.

schvetz
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

As far as I know the Azure certificates are not missing in 2.7, you can try to install it. Did you install it?

0 Kudos
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

yes indeed i did install 2.7 maually.

But - couple of days after manual CA addition. So that could be reason why they still show as "user" defined

That's why it would be nice to have an SK that would list the contents of update 2.7 and any new ones 🙂

0 Kudos
Marcel_Gramalla
Advisor

How do I install the version manually? Last Update Time says: 1619516783 (today) and I don't have a pop-up in SmartDashboard. Do I have to change the value in the SK to force it? 

schvetz
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

you don't need to have: Microsoft Azure TLS Issuing CA 01

you have its parent see image,

if you suspect you have missing certificate, download it, go to its properties and look if you have a parent in its chain,

certs_chains.PNG

Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

I downloaded it from MDS/CMA to laptop:

image.png

and then used SmartDashboard to import:

image.png

schvetz
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

Good, you have the latest bundle, the certificate that are missing should not be there, you have its parents as shown in image.
You cannot have all the certificates in the world... so you have only the ones in the "top" to confirm all the rest.

A quick question do you use portable smart console or did you install it?

certs_chains.PNG

0 Kudos
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

SmartConsole is installed, not portable.

If that cert was missing we were getting "Detect" logs that site could not be categorised as cert was not trusted, for example

image.png

0 Kudos
schvetz
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

That may happen before installing the last bundle,

Once you have "DigitCert Global root G2" the 'parent' in the image you don't have to install any of its descendants, this is how it works (https://knowledge.digicert.com/solution/SO16297.html#:~:text=What%20is%20a%20Certificate%20Chain,and....).

certs_chains.PNG

0 Kudos
Kaspars_Zibarts
Employee Employee
Employee

OK, let me remove my manual intermediate certs and I'll let you know! 🙂

0 Kudos
net-harry
Collaborator

We are running "HTTPS lite" and it looks like our trusted CA list has not been updated.

My understanding is that version 2.8 is now the latest trusted CA list. How do I know which version is currently running?

I am not able to find the TRUSTED_CA directory in "$CPDIR/database/downloads/" as shown in the beginning of this post:

[Expert@mds01:0]# cd $CPDIR/database/downloads/
[Expert@mds01:0]# ls -l
total 0
drwx------ 3 admin config 23 Feb 12 2021 ADDITIONAL_HARDWARE
drwx------ 3 admin root 17 Feb 12 2021 CA_BUNDLE
drwx------ 3 admin config 20 Feb 12 2021 REPORTS_UPDATE
drwx------ 3 admin config 23 Feb 12 2021 SLIM_FW_TYPES
[Expert@mds01:0]#

I am however able to find updateFile.zip in the following locations:

[Expert@mds01:0]# find / -name updateFile.zip
/var/opt/CPmds-R80.40/customers/fwman1/CPsuite-R80.40/fw1/conf/SMC_Files/trusted_ca/updateFile.zip
/var/opt/CPmds-R80.40/customers/fwman1/CPshrd-R80.40/database/downloads/TRUSTED_CA/2.0/2.7/updateFile.zip
/var/opt/CPmds-R80.40/customers/fwman1/CPshrd-R80.40/database/downloads/TRUSTED_CA/2.0/2.8/updateFile.zip

I have never been informed about any updates in the GUI though the checkbox in SmartDashboard is checked.

Do you see any risks of manually updating the trusted CA list to 2.8?

Our MDS is running R80.40, take 91 and the security gateways R80.20, take 190.

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Harry

0 Kudos
Danny
Champion Champion
Champion

Latest CA's currently are valid from January 15th, 2021 in v2.8.

image.png

On an MDS you would have to change into the specific mdsenv first and then go to the relevant TRUSTED_CA directory. The SmartConsole notification about available updates doesn't sometimes work for me as well. I don't see any risk of updating manually through SmartConsole to 2.8 as SmartConsole does various checks before it's actually importing the CA's. As always you should do recent updates of your MDS in case anything goes wrong.

net-harry
Collaborator

Thanks for your help @Danny I updated the trusted CA list manually, pushed the policies and now it seems to be working properly.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

FYI, there is a new mechanism available in R81.10 as well as prior R8x jumbos that will update the trusted CA list automatically if configured.
See: https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut... 

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events