cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AnandC
Explorer
Jump to solution

Stuck while importing Snapshot

Hi, I am trying to migrate my management server to a different VM. I have took the snapshot from the old Management Server and after booting up the new management server, I have selected to restore the snapshot when it asked to restore it from cloud or USB.

I selected the snapshot file from my PC, it uploaded successfully, then started importing the snapshot. After a while, 100% of importing the snapshot completed. But the page doesn't move to next one or the message doesn't refresh. The page is stuck at "Please wait while importing the snapshot... 100%". But the buffering icon next to it is working fine. It stayed the same for around a whole day.

If I tried to refresh the page, the total process stops and starts again from requesting to restore from cloud or USB.

Please help me with a solution for this, or should I raise a ticket with TAC for this?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

VMware vs KVM is one potential issue that stands out from the above.

If the issue persists after aligning that I would consider doing an migrate server DB export/import rather than using snapshots.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Refer sk163814 scenario 3.

It can yes with the correct flags, some will choose to move the logs manually to keep the file sizes lower for the initial export/import however.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

How do the specs of the two VMs compare and which version are we discussing?

An alternate option is to use the migrate_server approach if you get stuck.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
AnandC
Explorer

Sorry for not listing the whole details:

Old Server:

VMWare

1TB HDD

32GB RAM

New Server:

KVM

2TB HDD

192GB RAM

Version we are using - 80.40

The new server is not connected to any network yet.

Am I doing anything wrong?

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

VMware vs KVM is one potential issue that stands out from the above.

If the issue persists after aligning that I would consider doing an migrate server DB export/import rather than using snapshots.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
AnandC
Explorer

But, I didn't take a VM Snapshot, I took the snapshot on Gaia. Can does cause the same problem?

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Gaia snapshot can only be restored to a machine with equivalent attributes, in this case the VM type differs. 

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
AnandC
Explorer

Also, does the option you say migrates everything including past logs?

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Refer sk163814 scenario 3.

It can yes with the correct flags, some will choose to move the logs manually to keep the file sizes lower for the initial export/import however.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
AnandC
Explorer

Thanks for the help man...

0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

One potentially important note: a Gaia snapshot does not include logs. It only includes the contents of lv_current, which is basically everything outside of /var/log.

'migrate server' is the best option when moving from one server to another.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events