Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
biskit
Advisor

SmartEvent Alert emails missing details

I've enabled Anti-Bot email alerts in SmartEvent - all default settings, as follows:

SmartEvent.jpg

The email alerts I get have very little detail in them.  They don't contain any source/destination/attack details, so the emails are zero use to me.  E.g:

Email1.jpg

However the corresponding log card for the issue contains all of the detail, as expected.  E.g:

LogCard1.jpg

Does anyone know why the emails don't contain the same detail as the logs?  Or how to fix it to make the emails useful?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
MikeB
Advisor

biskit
Advisor

Thanks for your suggestion.  I don't think this is relevant though as it isn't only the username missing - it's all information 😕

0 Kudos
Tomer_Noy
Employee
Employee

I have a hunch for you to try...

The email that you showed has "Log ID = 2000" and "Type = Correlated". That means that the automatic reaction was triggered on a correlated log, instead of on the original Anti-Bot log. The correlated log has only partial information, not the full info of the original log.

Correlated logs aren't meant to be used for automatic reactions or further correlation (it can become recursive...). That's why in SmartEvent Event Policy there is a definition for "Global Exclusions" and the default is to exclude events with "Log ID = 2000" (see screenshot).

Is it possible that you deleted this default filter or deactivated it?

SmartEvent Global Exclusions.PNG

0 Kudos
biskit
Advisor

Hi Tomer, unfortunately that Log ID 2000 rule is already there...

0 Kudos
Jarvis_Lin
Collaborator

I have same issue, the mail alert didn't show detail information, could not provide useful info.

0 Kudos
Jarvis_Lin
Collaborator

After trying anything. I gave up set mail alert at SmartEvent.

I wrote a mail alert script and set track action to User Defined at rule and at global properties mail alert.

look like below, it has better visibility than original. I think RD can try to make original mail alert look more better.

mailalert.pngmailalert1.pngmailalert2.png

shovalm
Employee
Employee

Hi @biskit ,

Per the attached screenshot, the "Log Count" value is 1, which means that the correlated event was created by a single update that doesn’t contain all relevant data as the unified log.  shovalm_0-1651423208792.png

My suggestion is to modify the advanced settings of "Bot Incident" event, so the event will kept opened for couple seconds before sending the mail, then we will have more data in the email.
For example :

Screenshot_1.png

Let me know if it resolve the issue for you.

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

sk105300 describes a situation that might be worth checking further if you've not already.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
biskit
Advisor

Hi @shovalm and @Chris_Atkinson,  thanks for your suggestions.  Neither seem to apply though.  See below.  The filter is already set on the custom alert...  And originally the Log Count was set to 39600 by default.  Last night I changed this to 10 as suggested above.  As you can see though, I'm still getting emails this morning with no detail in them, and see the times too - it's not like I'm getting a bunch of emails all at the same time, each containing a different bit of the information...

Untitled2.png

Untitled.jpg

0 Kudos
shovalm
Employee
Employee

@biskit we want to investigate the issue further, can you please contact Checkpoint support and open a service request for it ?

0 Kudos
biskit
Advisor

Hi @shovalm, yes of course.  I've already got an SR open and a remote session scheduled...  I often just post on CheckMates at the same time as I often get faster and more varied responses 😁

0 Kudos
George_Casper
Contributor

Any resolution to this issue?  I figured I'd post here and open a SR to see which gets a faster response.   Just upgraded management R80.40 from Jumbo 139 to Jumbo 158 and the bot/virus auto-reaction emails are now all blank source/destination IP's immediately following.  Didn't update the gateways to jumbo 158 just yet.

0 Kudos
Karen_Askelson
Contributor
Contributor

Hi bisket, did you ever get a resolution on this from Support?  I'm having the same issue on R81.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events