cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gingerwerewolf
Contributor

Secondary SMS Installation and Upgrade Path must match Primary

Hi There

Bit of a strange one as I was taught something a long time ago, that as far as I know, has not changed in R81.20:

"Secondary (SMS) servers require the same version and hotfixes as the Primary, with the same installation and upgrade path." - its in the Checkpoint R81.20 CCSE slides

So I always took that to mean that if I had an SMS server (which by default is the Primary SMS) was a flat / fresh install of R80.40, then upgraded to R81.10, then to R81.20, then any secondary SMS would need to be a flat install of R80.40 then upgraded to R81.10, then to R81.20 in exactly the same way. IE Same Upgrade path

I cant find ANY reference online to this though, as it seemed pretty important.

Is this still true in R81.20 and have I got it right? Or did I misunderstand the slides?

If I could get feedback and or links to prove or disprove this, that would be amazing!

Thank you

0 Kudos
10 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

There were some recent posts about this. Check this out...essentially, as Bob Zimmerman said, your best bet is to technically fresh install secondary to SAME version/hotfix and then sync to primary.

Andy

https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/General-Topics/About-upgrade-a-smart-1-of-Management-High-Availa...

0 Kudos
Gingerwerewolf
Contributor

I see that set of replies, but I also see that it is mentioned that the original way of doing it was to match exactly, and your Lab says that you got it working in your method, but that was with R82. And it was with the Caveat that it was your Lab

Can I get a definitive answer of what is supported by Checkpoint, especially with their Lab Book saying that it must match exactly?

I mean no disrespect, just that I want to have a definitive answer, that is supported by checkpoint. Id like to see it written in their Manuals, SK articles or similar? It doesnt seem to be written anywhere

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Yes, but if you read my response again, I also mentioned that its most likely not supported by CP how I did it, though it works fine, and it also worked in R81.20, not just R82.

Andy

0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

You can start rebuilding a box with the latest major version. It's more that you have to install jumbos and hotfixes in the same order on top of the major version.

Gingerwerewolf
Contributor

I mean no disrespect, but is this written anywhere as official by Check Point themselves? SK article, or Manual? Its in their Training Slides

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Im 100% sure that is the case, but you can get an official answer via TAC case, so its documented.

Thats at least what I would do, personally.

Andy

0 Kudos
AkosBakos
Advisor

Hi @Gingerwerewolf 

I totally understand you, the written proof is the best. 

So here we go:

https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/R81.20/WebAdminGuides/EN/CP_R81.20_Installation_and_Upgrade_Gui...

2024-08-30 21_12_22-Installing a Secondary Security Management Server in Management High Availabilit.png

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

To answer your question, yes, it must match primary.

Andy

0 Kudos
Gingerwerewolf
Contributor

Do you have a SK article or Manual to link for that please? I mean no disrespect!

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

No disrespect taken, I dont get offended on human level, dont worry LOL

No, sadly, I dont, thats why I mentioned TAC case would be bets, to get an official answer.

Andy

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events