Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blason_R
Leader
Leader

R80.20 fresh install fails on Vmware ESXI

Hello ,

When I installs R80.20 on vmware ESXI which is on dell server with RAID 5 it  installs successfully but after reboot it gives the error "no operating system found". The hard disk size is 4.5TB. Anyone have face this kind of issue. Please let me know any workaround/solution if any. 

R80.10 with HDD less than 2 TB successful. 

Thanks and Regards,
Blason R
CCSA,CCSE,CCCS
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Shmaryahu
Employee Alumnus
Employee Alumnus

Hi Copper,

According to sk114174:

If fresh install of Gaia ends successfully, but the server is stuck in a boot loop and does not recognize any bootable device on the server, it usually means that the BIOS settings for is set to UEFI which is not supported by Check Point OS on Open Servers.

In order to resolve this, please disable UEFI settings and change BIOS to Legacy mode.

Regards,
Shmaryahu

0 Kudos
christophe
Participant

Is UEFI going to be supported at some point on open servers?

Greetings

0 Kudos
Kim_Moberg
Advisor

Please remember to to select 

Guest Operation System - Other 3.x or later Linux (64-bit)
SCSI controller type - LSI logic SAS

Best Regards
Kim
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

When you need more than 4 TB make sure to create 1 disk for system that is around 500GB, or max 1TB and create a second disc to be used for the /var/log
This way we found it works just fine.
Indeed make sure to use SCSI LSI SAS
Regards, Maarten
0 Kudos
Martin_Hofbauer
Contributor
Contributor

I experienced this limitation, too. I am speaking about the Mgmt ISO of R80.20 - It seems, that the installer/grub-install is still not able to work with disks bigger than 2TB

I my case I decreased the virtual disk to 1,99 TB and installation worked.

If you still want to have a have diskspace more then 2 TB in this VM with there a two options:

- Install with 1,99 TB and then add a 2nd disk and add it with LVM commands ( pvcreate, vgextend und lvextend)

( I never used the tool, that Checkpoint is providing ("lvm_manager") - it is not flexible enough )

This will definitly works !

-) Increase the size of the existing disk to the size you want - but only after installing with sizce below 2 TB and extend this disk with LVM commands ( maybe "lvm_manager" do the job here)

Thanks

Martin

0 Kudos
Maarten_Sjouw
Champion
Champion

In the meantime, I have installed 5 MDS ssrvers with different total sizes, but I always use a 1TB disk as the root partition and the bigger disk as the /var/log Where the / partition actually becomes around 450GB and backup around 500GB. All the rest cn then be used as /var/log depending on the second disc this can be 4 or 6TB (in our case), I have not gone bigger yet.
When you add both discs before installation it will use both discs, so no need for LVM or any other 'dangerous' tools.
Regards, Maarten
0 Kudos
Iain_Keir1
Contributor

Just for completion it's useful to be aware of this sk article

https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...

Iain
CISSP
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

@Iain_Keir1 , thanks! Nice pointer. Do you happen to know if there is one for Hyper-V?

0 Kudos
Iain_Keir1
Contributor

There isn't a HyperV best practice guide for performance available. Just the OS support SK https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...

by the looks of things.

Iain
CISSP
Vladimir
Champion
Champion

Thanks! It is still helpful. @PhoneBoy , the 80.30 being listed in the "applicable" section of the title, but is not included in the tables.

Does the 80.30 3.10 work on the Hyper-V and are there any gotchas?

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

I imagine it's a simple matter of the table not getting updated but will ask the SK team to update.
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events