Create a Post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_Fleming
Advisor

R77.30 - open files limit

Does anyone know how to increase open files limit? I don't mean run ulimit. I mean like mdsstart or boot up or cpwd restart  and FWM will come up with open files increased to 2048. This is a CMA btw (really its just one that needs open files increased).

I need to inject a little breathing room into a R77.30 MDS while it thirsts to be migrated. This CMA has a lot of gateways and it often seems to bump into the limit. FWM is the main issue, its like there are so many devices that all the network connections basically make open files limit get hit. I really don't want to get into jumbo hotfix version and all that because we're not touching it.

Just want to know if someone knows where open files limit is set. Seems like i've tried limits.conf but I could be wrong. If you've make the change let me know how you did it.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Even though Scenario 1 in this SK is for SPLAT, perhaps it applies to Gaia as well?
https://supportcenter.checkpoint.com/supportcenter/portal?eventSubmit_doGoviewsolutiondetails=&solut...
0 Kudos
John_Fleming
Advisor

I think that is system wide an not per process. /proc/$pid/limits shows 1024 for max files.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Ah good point.
Can you echo a larger number into /proc/$pid/limits?
0 Kudos
John_Fleming
Advisor

tried that. gives a write error. I think that was added in 2.6.32 or around there.

0 Kudos
Timothy_Hall
Champion
Champion

Correct, 2.6.18 does not support changing limits on the fly for a running process.  Best best is to hike the system-wide file descriptor limit in /etc/sysctl.conf and reboot the system.

Edit: Actually I think the file you need to edit for this purpose is /etc/security/limits.conf depending on how the the fwm process is being invoked.

Gateway Performance Optimization R81.20 Course
now available at maxpowerfirewalls.com
0 Kudos
John_Fleming
Advisor

limits.conf is setting a new open files limit for bash but not for fwm so i'm thinking some script for some reason is setting it to 1024.

0 Kudos
John_Fleming
Advisor

added 

limit descriptors 2048

to the end of 

/opt/CPshrd-R77/tmp/.CPprofile.csh

and now fwm is showing open files limit set to 2048.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events