cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matlu
Advisor

Prevent reboot when a BKP is exited

Hello, Folks.

We need to backup our SMS policy package.

We know that the current recommended command for this is the "migrate_server export", but this command restarts the Management, and this is something that the client does not want to happen.

I would like to confirm something based on your experience,
The mechanism (which I understand, is already legacy), which is to use the "./migrate export" which also generates a Backup of the SMS policy package. This mechanism does not restart the Management, right? Or does it also send it to restart?

We have a SMS in version R81.10

Greetings.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The migration tools (both legacy and current) require a cpstop to be performed.
No getting around this.
On a standalone system like you’ve been asking about…it means this must be done during an outage window.

If you export/import via the API, this won’t be necessary (e.g. using https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/API-CLI-Discussion/Python-tool-for-exporting-importing-a-policy-... ).
However, you will have to recreate certain objects/settings by hand.

0 Kudos
Matlu
Advisor

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

Indeed, I have tried the "./migrate export" and it also "apparently" restarts the SMS.

One concern, the "migrate export" offers the guarantee, that allows us to have a BACKUP of the complete policy package?

My query is based on the fact that I have an environment in which the "migrate_server export" command does not work, it simply "does not generate" the BACKUP, but the "migrate export" works well, and very fast.

That environment is located in a version R80.30.

Thanks for the comment.

0 Kudos
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

The legacy migration command cannot be used for upgrades past R80.40.
Further, you need to take the export with the target version of the migration tools, which you obviously can’t do since the legacy migrate tools aren’t used in R80.40 and above.

You can either use the solution I provided earlier or engage the TAC to see why migrate_server is failing.

0 Kudos
Matlu
Advisor

So, the "./migrate export" (Legacy), can only be used to update an MGMT up to version R80.40 maximum, correct?

If I need to get to R81, and above, it is mandatory to use the "migrate_server" (something that in my case, is not possible for some reason).

According to the upgrade path, I can jump directly from r80.30 -> r81.10, but the migrate_server is not useful for this.

I will have to involve TAC, or in any case, check their reference documentation.

Thanks for the comments.

the_rock
Legend
Legend

I would involve TAC bro, this would need some further troubleshooting.

Andy

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events