Did you mean: 
Joe_Kanaszka
Collaborator

Migrating standalone SmartEvent server to new appliance

Hey guys and gals.

I have one virtual VMware SMS

1 SmartEvent appliance

1 (new) SmartEvent appliance

I want to migrate the database(config) from the old SmartEvent appliance and import it to the new appliance.

I'm following the steps in the R81.20 Installation and Upgrade Guide "Upgrading a Security Management Server or Log Server from R80.20 and higher with Migration"

*I only exported the database from my existing SmartEvent server.  I plan on simply copying the logs over to the new server afterwards:

https://community.checkpoint.com/t5/Management/Clearing-disk-space-on-R80-40-Management-Server/td-p/...

I'm about to iport the source database to the new SmartEvent server. 

I'm not sure how to proceed next.

The IPs are different on the two servers (So I can have the new server online as I configure it without running into duplicate IP issues.)

What are my final steps for getting the new SmartEvent server online so I can turn off the old one?

Thanks again!

Edited: 03/26

OK - I think I may be getting close to completing this.

I've successfully exported the database from the old SmartEvent server.  I then transferred the database file to /var/log on the new Smart-1 600 server.

I'm about to run the import on the new server:

./migrate_server import -v R81.20 -skip_upgrade_tools_check /<Full Path>/<Name of Exported File>.tgz

Currently my new SmartEvent server has a different IP than the old one - but I plan on changing it once the import is complete.

A couple of questions:

• The migrate_server import will change the IP of my new server to match the old server correct?  The hardware is different between the Smart-1 205 and Smart-1 600-S.  The 205 only has three interfaces and a Mgmt port.  The new 600 has 8 interfaces, a Mgmt port and a Sync port.  Currently, my old Smart-1 205 has its Mgmt interface configured only with the IP I plan on using on the new 605 appliance.  Before I import the config, should I also configure the Mgmt interface on the new target server 600 appliance, or does it not really make a difference?
  • I plan on disconnecting the old Smart-1 205 appliance before the import so I do not have two devices with the same IP on my network.  Is this pretty much the way to do it?
  • After the import to the new appliance, I'm reading in the migration guide that I should not have to push policy.  I should only need to change the object version to R81.20 on my SMS - then install the database - is this correct?
  • I have not upgraded my SMS yet to R81.20.  It is still on R80.40.  I plan on upgrading it this week or early next week.  Can my SmartEvent server be a higher version than my SMS?  

Thanks again guys!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Hey bro,

If its same type of platform, you can simply do restore on new server, it wont "transfer" jumbo, but not a biggie, its not a fw anyway, so not that important. Just make sure versions are the same.

Best,

Andy

0 Kudos
Joe_Kanaszka
Collaborator

Hey Andy - 

Are you talking about a snapshot restore?  If so, the hardware is not the same.  My old SmartEvent server is on a Smart-1 205 and the new is on a Smart-1 600-S.  That's why I'm going the Migrate-server export/import route.  You tell me though.  Am I doing this migration wrong?  🙂

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I was referring to backup/restore, but probably would not work here as its different hardware. One way to do it would be to get show configuration and then copy bits and pieces to new server via clish, but obviously, thats just OS level config. Let me see one of my colleagues that did this for a customer last year, Im sure she will remember.

Will keep you posted.

Andy

0 Kudos
Joe_Kanaszka
Collaborator

Cool - thanks Andy!

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

For you, its free 😉

the_rock
Legend
Legend

K, just got off the phone with my colleague, she said there was some sort of script TAC provided for this, but she will try to find the case for it and let me know.

Andy

Joe_Kanaszka
Collaborator

Thanks again Andy.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

you are welcome

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events