Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maller2
Participant
Jump to solution

Migrating SMART-1 3050(EoL dec23) to new 6000L

Hi 

We are preparing a project to migrate our SMART-1 MDS R80.40 to the new 6000L appliances.  My idea is to install latest R81.20 version in new appliances . 

Following https://sc1.checkpoint.com/documents/R81/WebAdminGuides/EN/CP_R81_Installation_and_Upgrade_Guide/Top...

1-Get the required Upgrade Tools on the source server
2-On the current Multi-Domain Server, run the Pre-Upgrade Verifier and export the entire management database
3-Install a new R81 Multi-Domain Server
4-Get the required Upgrade Tools on the R81 server
5-On the R81 Multi-Domain Server, import the databases
6-Install the R81 SmartConsole
7-Upgrade the Multi-Domain Log Servers, dedicated Log Servers, and dedicated SmartEvent Servers
8-Reconfigure the Log Exporter
9-In SmartConsole, install policy on all SmartLSM Security Profiles
10-Test the functionality on the R81 Multi-Domain Server

Disconnect the old Multi-Domain Server from the network

Connect the new Multi-Domain Server to the network

Is there any  special recommendation or peculiarity?

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

I would prefer to swap hardware first. Install R81.20 on the new box, downgrade in-place to R80.40, config_system, then import. That will get you on the fixed partition scheme earlier, so the import and the later upgrade should be faster. This depends on the new box actually supporting stock R80.40, though.

If the new box needs a custom R80.40 image, I would prefer the upgrade-in-place first, then moving to the new box. The old box would have the misaligned partition table, but the new box wouldn't.

View solution in original post

(1)
3 Replies
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

MDS stuff is time-consuming enough that I wouldn't try to both swap hardware and upgrade in the same window. I would prefer to lock one in, then go for the second in a separate window.

If you want to swap the hardware first, I would install R81.20 on the new hardware, then downgrade in place to R80.40 with CPUSE.

If you want to upgrade first, I would just upgrade in place to R81.20 with CPUSE, then swap hardware with mds_backup.

If you want to do both in one window, I would still serialize the steps into an upgrade and a hardware swap.

If you're really, really sure that you want to do both at once, the process you listed seems fine to me. Just expect it to take 10+ hours.

0 Kudos
maller2
Participant

hi Bob

thanks for your answer. I'll do it in two windows.

About two possibilities , what option could be better? 
Maybe install R80.40 in new appliances , after restore mds backup from old smart-1  and finally cpugrade to R81.20 can be other good option.

thanks

0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

I would prefer to swap hardware first. Install R81.20 on the new box, downgrade in-place to R80.40, config_system, then import. That will get you on the fixed partition scheme earlier, so the import and the later upgrade should be faster. This depends on the new box actually supporting stock R80.40, though.

If the new box needs a custom R80.40 image, I would prefer the upgrade-in-place first, then moving to the new box. The old box would have the misaligned partition table, but the new box wouldn't.

(1)

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

Tue 23 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (EDT)

East US: What's New in R82

Thu 25 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)

APAC: CPX 2024 Recap

Tue 30 Apr 2024 @ 03:00 PM (CDT)

EMEA: CPX 2024 Recap

Thu 02 May 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)

APAC: What's new in R82

Tue 23 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (EDT)

East US: What's New in R82

Thu 25 Apr 2024 @ 11:00 AM (SGT)