cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tmorgan_mcs
Participant
Jump to solution

Licence from Smart405 -> Virtual Machine

We have a customer whose Smart405 is in a bad place and needs a rebuild. There setup has changed a lot since they installed the Smart405 and they would rather move to a virtual machine instead.

The Check Point SE is saying we need to pay for a new management license for the virtual machine however the part number is exactly the same as the license already used on the Smart405. The IP address of the new Virtual Machine and Smart405 will be exactly the same so my understanding is we should be able to move the existing license?

Myself and the customer are both a bit confused by this and I would appreciate a second opinion if anyone has time?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Personally, if I were you, I would contact Account services and get an official confirmation.

Andy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Licenses for Check Point-branded appliances are tied to the appliance and cannot be used elsewhere per the EULA.
This refers to the base appliance SKU.
For deployment as a VM, you'd need to purchase the equivalent Open Server license (e.g. CPSM-NGSM5).
Some of the other SKUs may be movable.

What SKUs are involved here?

0 Kudos
tmorgan_mcs
Participant

Thanks for the response. As @the_rock has suggested I will raise this with account services. Not sure why I didnt think of that in the first place!

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

They might be able to help you out, I sure hope so.

Andy

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Let us know what they say.

Andy

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Personally, if I were you, I would contact Account services and get an official confirmation.

Andy

0 Kudos
tmorgan_mcs
Participant

Good idea! I will get this raised today and post back here what the response is for completeness. Judging by the other responses though it looks like the customer is going to be buying more licenses.

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

The base licence SKU or part number as a minimum will be different here as @PhoneBoy has advised.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos
tmorgan_mcs
Participant

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events