Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BNgala
Explorer
Jump to solution

Installing Gaia R80.40 standalone on Smart-1 210 appliance

Hi all,

I have got a smart-1 210 which came originally with gaia R80.40 installed on it but as management security only, but I wanted to use it as standalone (Security Mgmt & Security Gateway). I formatted the hard drive and tried to install the standalone version on it, unfortunately after completion the appliance is coming back as security management.

I tried several times but with no success, that's the raison why I need help if someone has got an idea what can I do to sort myslef out.

Regards,

Ben

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Smart-1 Appliances are not supported as Security Gateways, thus a Standalone install is not supported.
You might be able to modify /etc/appliance_config.xml prior to executing the First Time Wizard to allow this. 

View solution in original post

(1)
7 Replies
PhoneBoy
Admin
Admin

Smart-1 Appliances are not supported as Security Gateways, thus a Standalone install is not supported.
You might be able to modify /etc/appliance_config.xml prior to executing the First Time Wizard to allow this. 

(1)
BNgala
Explorer

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply which gave me a lot of hope, because I bought this appliance used upgraded it to 16Gb RAM and I paid £36 ($50) to make it quiet so that I can used on my living room as my test lab.

I would greatly appreciate if you give instructions how to modify the appliance config.xml to configure it on Standalone mode.

Regards,

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

Not sure its something CP employee would do for you, considering its totally 100% unsupported : - )

0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Authority
Authority

For lab use, the hardware isn't special. You can run a standalone VM really easily. What's special about a Check Point branded box is the license. I don't think a Smart-1's license covers the firewall application. Without the license, even if you're able to modify the appliance_config or config_system (my preferred way of dealing with unsupported software options is just patching out the check), it may not do what you want.

0 Kudos
the_rock
Legend
Legend

I never seen anyone do that successfully on smart-1 appliance, as Im pretty positive its dedicated management appliance only. As phoneboy said, maybe there is a way to do it, but not sure if TAC would assist you if you ever needed help, as Im certain it would not be supported config.

0 Kudos
_Val_
Admin
Admin

Not supported, period

0 Kudos
Chris_Atkinson
Employee Employee
Employee

Is this in a lab environment, VMs are probably a better choice? 

Note the Smart-210 will be EOL in September 2022 and generally needed a RAM upgrade to run R80.x.

CCSM R77/R80/ELITE
0 Kudos

Leaderboard

Epsum factorial non deposit quid pro quo hic escorol.

Upcoming Events

CheckMates Events